Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

120 watt , is it enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Aug 24, 2003.

1. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. I hear thats a real good amp, haven't played one myself.

It depends on what kind of music you play, and what kind of guitarists/drummer you're up against.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Just saw a local blues group The Studebaker Blues Band, and their bassist used one. He sounded great up in the balcony of a small local theater. He has a larger Hartke rig for his outside gigs. If your band is real loud, it might not be enough.

4. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It'll be mostly Punk rock and raggae what we'll be playing.
    like I said, it'll be for small shows I'm sure since we have not even started yet.
    I'm just wondering if it will be enough or if I should just take it back and get something bigger. Of course I would like to not have to spend more than what I spent on this thing.
    but I wanted something new and Hartke makes good amps.

5. I don't think that's enough power for punk since guitarists and drummers want to get LOUD. Is $529 how much you got it for? If so, you can easily get a used head by GK (400rb and up) or Peavey (Firebasses go for around 300-350 on ebay, Nitros probably cheaper) along with an Avatar cab (I say 2x10 for small clubs, MAYBE a 4x10, though I think it's overkill) for around that price. Any of these should give you enough power for the job (though I'd go 800rb or 700rb for GK), and since it's a rig rather than a combo, you can switch heads/cabs later on. Much more versatile. This isn't the BEST setup, but a lot of people on these boards swear by Peavey, GK, and Avatar. And it's the best bang for the buck.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    120watts 15" is enough for some people. if you are just using it to hear yourself it might be fine in almost any room, but if you want the band or the audience to hear you from JUST YOUR AMP forget it in any situation with drums or really loud guitar.

for example I have a 350w swr head and had two 110 EA speakers. it sounded great within the first 10ft or less from the amp. any farther and the bass got quieter and more midrangy. in my situation its more of just a stage monitor or personal monitor. I PLUG INTO P.A. usually. if you can plug into p.a. you could be alright if nobody plays on 11.

TRY THIS EXPERIMENT: put a long guitar chord (not speaker wire) on your guitar and set the amp at a level that sounds nice in your normal location with the band. then walk as far away from your amp as possible (I had about 50ft for my experiment) and hear the difference. I someones house or basement your amp will sound HUGE, but get into a larger room or outside and hear the difference.

Every time I got new combo's/amps/or cabs I would preform an 'outdoor' test. I'd take the amp up to my cousins cabin, didn't want to annoy MY neighbors, and I'd put on the long chord. I set the amp as loud as I could with out distorting and I'd walk away from it with my long chord. I stopped doing this experiment when I realize that I would never be willing to carry personal cabs that are big enough for outdoors! i.e. 15's 410's, 18's etc...

7. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    alright, I guess I'm gonna have to take it back and see if I can get get something bigger.
    I really don't know if I should though. Like I said, we have not played anywhere yet and when that happens it'll be small places I'm sure and I thought this would be more than enough but I guess not.
    I'll do some research on amps and see what I can find.
    I have credit at SamAsh,that's why I'm getting new equipment plus I wanted to take adavantage of that 12month no payment/interests deal and I don't have the cash to go spend 600 bucks on old better equipment.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    DON'T TAKE IT BACK till you know it won't be loud enough. 120 watts is plenty loud.

9. if your drummer plays softly it will be fine but if he plays like most do you need at least 200 watts

10. switching from 120 to 200W doesn't make a big difference (less than 3dB difference)

11. really? i would have thought 80 watts would make more difference than that oh well i guess not

12. if you were comparing a 10W and a 90W amp it would!

between a 120W and a 200W amp there is only a 2.2dB difference

13. ah thanks im a noobie i just came to this forums today and already learned a few things!

14. hey learning is what this is all about :)

btw. you can calculate the difference this way:

10xlog(Watts1) - 10xlog(Watts2)

so to get 3dB extra you have to double the wattage and to double volume (+10dB) you need 10 times as much

15. cool! thats some helpful info for when i go to buy a new amp!

16. of course that formula only works if you compare using the same cab (speakers can vary a lot in how efficient they are, for example a glockenklang 2x12 has 100db@1W and an EBS 810 has 107dB@1W)

17. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's a very decent amp, I did almost all my gigs with one until it got stolen. It was always loud enough.