Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

120 watt tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by link wray, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I've been offered a Sound city PA 120 tube head:
    [​IMG]
    (pic is from the net; not the one i am about to buy)

Its cheap and i could use it for bass and guitar. Sound city amps are supposed to be the predecessor to Hiwatt and to be real clean real loud. Do any of you have any experience with one of these?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just get it. Unless it's been screwed with, it should sound really nice. And yes, Sound City amps were sort of the precursor to hiwatts. Real clean real loud, but when they do break up, it's a thing of beauty.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hold on a sec. What's "cheap"? If it's $150 shipped or more you may want to consider a used Peavey or something like that. THis is really a PA head and is pretty featureless as far as contols, etc are concerned and does it have a low level output? I'd look at other options in the same price range then make a decision.

4. No, its the vintage tube sound that i am after so a used peavey will not do. i allready own a 250 watt solid state amp.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Who needs features when all you need is a great sound? My Sunn 200s has three knobs. Volume, Treble & Bass. Same with my Ampeg SB-12. That's all they need.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if'n you are a Commercial user or a non supporting member

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    BUY IT.
    It has 6 EL34 tubes for power, like the 120 watt head I had. The one I had was awesome. It did not stay clean at high volumes. For guitar, at high volumes, think something like Pete Townsend on old Who recordings. For bass at high volumes, think more along the lines of John Entwistle on Live at Leeds. Not exactly, but in that area. Not a lot of bass; it might not be too good for a 5 string. Unfortunately the one I had was broken, and I had to return it.

Sound City made some great amps that did not become collector's items, so you can still afford them. Maybe the best bargain in vintage amps. Great, and cheap. There's some info here, scroll down to near the bottom of the page - this may be where your pic came from?

http://home.earthlink.net/~iktoblikto_1/photo_page_6.htm

Here's the Plexi Palace Sound City forum:

http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=9f4ed6896bffcb232cd85ae2c5ef4a56

Generally it IS a good idea to shop and compare, but these are great all-purpose amps. All the inputs might even come in handy somne day. The hand wiring is something you won't see in a Peavey!! Makes repairs and modifications simple. I have too many amps as it is, and if I could get it cheap I'd jump on it!

Good luck

8. Quadzilla

As Quad pulls Ox's knife out of his back :scowl: Ox, next time, please read the rules BEFORE making false accusations....

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I wasn't trying to stab you in the back, I just thought that it was forbidden all over, not just not supporting members. :oops: [​IMG]

10. Quadzilla

No sweat. I shouldn't have come off so pissy. Kiss kiss, make up! :cool:

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

12. Well, its here, and i will be testing this afternoon. It was only 120 euro so if i dont like it i can allways sell it again (i believe the Partridge transformers in it are worth more than 120 euros).