$120... What to get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Aug 11, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have a birthday coming up, in the beginning of September. My dad usually allows me to get something for $120 max. My mom's already getting me a Music Man Sterling (16th birthday... so I kinda get big presents, since my mom figures "well, you only turn 16 once"). Anyway... I'm good on the basses part, although my Ibanez SR800LE could maybe use a better preamp. I've been suggested to spend the $120 on an Aguilar preamp for it... Which I've heard are great. If you're not familiar with the SR800LE it's a Sound Gear... (thin neck) and has a p/j configuration, with a 2 band preamp. If I do infact get a preamp... I've been debating between the Basslines 3 band and the Aguilar. I like a good clean sound, but not "in your face", as I call it... Like a Stingray or anything. Like the inbetween point of being muddily smooth, and clickily "in your face".

I just really need some opinions... I don't need an amp, or any cabs really... I have a 700 watt bass rig, and $120 wouldn't get me a new bass (and I don't really need one). The only effect I think I could possibly use would be an octave pedal, although, I don't really use effects much anyways.

Any ideas of cool things to get that might come in handy? Or should I stick with the preamp? If the preamp... Which one?

2. You could get a Boss Octave pedal for about 80 bucks, and spend the rest on strings.
  3. Why post this here? Try Jeff Berlin's forum.

(Kidding!.. Really, it's a joke.... I'm sorry.)

Anyway, I think it's been suggested before, but I'd seriously look at a few good lessons with a good teacher.
  4. Invest it in Microsoft shares? :rolleyes:

I agree with the new strings idea. Middle of the range bass strings here cost $75 and its always good to have quality. They last longer.

But if you aren't happy with your pre-amp and it was the first thing to enter your head, then maybe go with gut instinct.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

My Response will be the same it was last time it was said too... I've been taking lessons for 4 years, and my bass teacher's the best in the area.

And as far as the person who suggested strings... I just got new strings on my main bass.

And if I get a preamp... Could I please get descriptions of the SD 3 band preamp and the Aguilar?

I don't really use effects, as I said... But the Octave would be the one I'd get, if I'd get one.

I'm kinda tryin' to figure out cool little things that aren't known very well for bass...

ie: The hipshot D-tuner
    ie: Bass Whammy and floating bridge.

just like little unkown thing's... if there's
    anything that really seems cool, I might get that... Otherwise I think I'll be getting a Preamp... Just trying to decide what preamp I wanna get.
  6. man, wish my parents were like that, i'm turning 16 soon too... i asked for a spector... they laughed at me... i asked for an sg, they laughed harder, i asked for a ps2, hardest laugh yet... i asked what do i get... they smiled and said "a hand shake"

I know it may sound cheesy, but i say save the $120. I had $100 about a month ago, thought... what should i buy? i could re-tube my amp, and take out the crap stock tubes... and thought of half a dozen other things i could do. couldnt decided, sudenly the $100 turned into $200... then i started thinking of things i could get... i could re-string all my guitars (comes out to about $75), and re-tube my amp... but what about a wah pedal instead?... couldnt decided... the $200 turned into $300. Finally realized that the amount of money keeps growing, the bigger it gets, the better things i can get... hey... only need a grand more for my new bass... save it if you're not sure... if you dont feel like you really want anything... just wait, soon somthing will pop up on the market that you do want, and if you spent the money, you'll be regreting that you dont have the money to buy it.

just a question... how much do you honestly use your ibanez? i mean, you just got a mm sterling... you should consider if you're fixing up somthign you're not gonna be using or not.
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Didn't get the Sterling yet. I get it by my birthday... Which is September 13th. My Ibanez is currently the bass I'm playing the most.

I'm trying to make it something that'll be more flexible then it currently is... That's why I was thinking of the preamp... And yeah... the saving thing might work, considering I wanna get both the MIM P-bass and the MIM Deluxe Zone
  8. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    what is a pre amp??
  9. So just the one share then?! ;o)
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe kype an extra $40 out of mom's purse, then go for a SansAmp Bass Dirver DI.
  11. i agree, save up and get an outboard preamp like the sansamp.
  12. banger

Jun 29, 2001
    vienna wv usa
    Look for some series of a Bass Pod on sell because Bass Pods are awsome
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Actually, I tried a POD already... didn't really care for it. I think it might've been the guitar pod through bass though, I couldn't see it... It was at warped tour, and the music man stand.
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You could always run down to the local quick mart, get yourself a money order, and send it to me!!! Just kidding... wish I had parents like that...

Try and find a deal on a BBE Sonic Maximizer... Run it through the effects loop on your amp. They generally go for new about 170, I have seen them go for 120-140 on sale. I love what mine does for my sound... Of course try one on for size first.
  15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I replaced the preamp on my Ibanez basses with EMG. You may wanna check those out as well.

16. If I were you, I'd buy a home brewing kit. Then I'd make my own beer and sell it to my fellow underage friends for a tidy profit.

Or maybe save it up for your first speeding ticket.
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think I might have a use for a decent compressor, if the good one's do what I think they'll do. (I know statistically what they do, but sound-wise...)

I'm going today to Guitar-Villa to check some of 'em out, along with some other random stuff. :)
  18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    A Hipshot D-Tuner? I thought you anything below E was "a fart with a pitch"? Where did this come from?

Compressors...bleh, you know my opinion. Kills dynamics, and is usually just used to covers up technique problems. Good tool if used well, but rarely is.

No more basses, man! What's the point, you only use 1 at a time, not 7! :D
  19. new idea - how about an Ernie Ball volume pedal? i kinda have a jonesing for one o'them, get some nice dynamics going on.
  20. Come to think of it, you should just save it for when that special deal comes. I always hate it when I'm really low on cash and then I see something that I could have afforded a few months earlier.