1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1200 WATTS - WHY ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, May 26, 2019.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I’m using a few heads in the 800 watt range and running them with 4 ohm cabinets. I have plenty of hi quality volume and headroom..
    I’m curious to hear from some of the forum members with their thoughts about needing / using 1200 watts.
    Thank you.

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I use two of them bridged to power a 1x8 cab. It's more efficient for filling a room with baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass.

3. SM2

SM2 Endorsing Artist : Curt mangan Strings Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2016
    St. Augustine Fl
    Why not? Do we really need to have a reason other than we can?

4. Because gui****s.

gunai, Zbysek, Bugeyed Earl and 39 others like this.
  5. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Headroom for drop tuned metal
    :bassist:

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've brought out my 1200W rig (LH1000 into GK 412 Neo) exactly once.
    Partly because I could, partly because I knew it would have more than enough clean headroom, and partly because it was an outdoor festival gig with only vocals in the PA (supplied by the headliner).
    I think I wound up with it turned up to about "2" because the supplied PA was about 250W and everybody had to play really quiet...
    Oh well - better to have it and not need it - and it did look marvelous ;-)

ELynx, Zbysek, Mr_Moo and 19 others like this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I have a big head and need the head room!:laugh:

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

depends on what you play and where you play it. 'headroom' is a real attribute....and almost all amps go down to '0'.

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    They do.
    But with that much power on tap, a teeny knob change can take you from too quiet to LOUD. Use caution ;-)

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The only gig I play where I need an amp, I think 10 watts would be sufficient, but...unless you want to haul a tube amp around, nowadays a semi decent cheap amp is 250 watts. It's just easy to do nowadays, so the marketing guys are in a power race. Look around here - you'll see guys saying everyone needs at least 500 watts to keep up with a drummer. When all we had was 100 watt amps, they often sufficed just fine.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've said it before, I use heads 500 watt (@ 4 ohm), and even with two guitars, drums, and no FOH, have never had to push it.

13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I often use my Walkabout which is 300 watts and it’s plenty loud and sounds great. Using great speakers really helps..

14. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I got 2000, but not to be loud. Always enough on tap, seldom need to push it hard.

15. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Because it's really only a couple of db louder. That number is deceiving and not much more as far as loudness/volume.

16. I like big heads and I cannot lie :)
    upload_2019-5-26_15-40-30.

17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    if you can control your volume knob, large watts becomes a function of how much headroom you like/want...;)

Good Luck!

18. Then, for you, You don't need a bigger amp.

19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    ahhh, the days when drummers aspired to be Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich, even if they were just playing rock.

20. If you are playing music that only requires that much power for you, then it's enough for you :)

I came from that period of time you speak of.
    Yes, we had 100-watt bass amps but, they did not always suffice. It was just the fact that it was all that we had and had to make do.

At the same time, from that period emerged the 200-watt Acoustic 360, the 300-watt Sunn Coliseum and the 300-watt Ampeg SVT.

We use to gig with 35 watt Ampeg B15's too.
    Nobody does that anymore unless that's the requirement of the gig, low watt, all playing together at that volume level :)

Last edited: May 27, 2019