1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1200 WATTS - WHY ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, May 26, 2019.

1. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I always say use 10 times the rated speaker power. My Wayne Jones tens are 500 W each. I also have a 12 inch speaker that I run with 1200 W.
    As long is you know how to tell how much the speaker can take there’s no problem with running this much power and the head room is always a bonus.

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It's not about volume. Its about heft. I have the sunn 1200s. What's great about 1200 watts is the heft in the low notes. I thought other amps had good low end until I played this one. Low frequencies chew thru wattage and 500 watts had "bass" to it but not the authority and sledgehammer strength 1200 does. And yes... I can turn down to play at any volume but no matter what the low end can have serious thumpage.

oZZma, Nevada Pete, blanchae and 13 others like this.
  3. Yeah, now we live in such dark times that drummers run around saying "Ni" to old ladies! I'm speaking of my drummer specifically...GAWD, just...stop hitting...that hard...please!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    [​IMG]

5. @BurningSkies can tell you all about his 800w RMS 151566 Fearful.

Less sensitive cabs with long excursion woofers can use a bit of extra power. Still I don't see how 1200w is MOAR than 800 except in space heating or converting to a welder.

Pbassmanca and JC Nelson like this.
  6. Cat.

7. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Can you ever have too many watts??

oZZma, rtav, Pbassmanca and 1 other person like this.
  8. Because a 1,200 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 120 watt amp.

Kieran Mulvaney, JKos, petch and 9 others like this.
  9. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Depends on the user my friend.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    As stated above, you can always turn it down. Always better to have too much than not enough.

woody357, Goatts, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    lol I have been trying to crowbar that in somewhere all week.

12. Slow Clap.

Well done, laddie, well done...(sniff)

13. upload_2019-5-26_16-25-47.

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    For the 'slam', 'heft', 'girth'. Reading about the new 1200 watt ICE module makes me want to feel one, but not enough to invest. I'm doing fine with my 225-250 KT88 watts...

15. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Well, 1200 watts would sure make it easier to turn your speaker cabinets into confetti throwing machines

Zbysek, Omega Monkey, TomB and 7 others like this.
  16. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    Ok everyone pay attention out there. This is the correct answer. Nothing else matters

17. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Okay, I'll stir an old pot..
    My 450 watt Ampeg SVT PRO 3 doesn't seem to have any more power than my old 100 watt V4B had.

18. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    No.
    pzv5j7l.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    This had to be pressed into service as a P.A. at a few gigs, I’m glad it had the suds to get us through.

gb_rig_rotated.

20. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding about watts. The number of watts is irrelevant. An amp has to be loud enough and have the right tone and feel to its sound.

If 250 watts does that for you, then that's what you need. I use 800 watts and get a great sound. If one of these 1200 watt amps can improve my sound at the same volume then I'll get one. The objective is to sound better not louder.