1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1200 WATTS - WHY ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, May 26, 2019.

1. I’ve gone from 1400watts to 200watts.
    A big thank you goes to modern PA systems and TB for teaching me how to get decent stage sound out of amps!

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Truth. The "225-250 KT88 watts" I referred to in my previous post are generated by a Reeves C225. Best sounding amp I've ever plugged into...

4. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    OP is fine with 800 but not 1,200? All else equal this is about 2 extra dB of volume at full power. That’s not exactly violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Zbysek, rtav, Red Planet and 3 others like this.
  5. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Totally makes the case for better or more speakers...

6. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

That’s not what I implied.. I put it out there to hear from those who have experience with these ultra hi powered heads and to get some information from the members.
    I don’t have a problem with a 1200 watt head..

7. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Fair enough. I was reading the tone of some other posts into the initial post. Also the all-caps title seems like outrage.

As others have said, headroom is why. Every amp manufacturer will be different, so it’s tough to judge by watts alone.

Marlon Carbone and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I found out that where to be most careful is in squeezing low end out of a 50hz bottom frequency cab. It starts taking a lot of power and at those lows the current can escalate wildly. Easily enough to fry the voice coil if you OD it. You need to do some research into how much power you can pump into a cab at the bottom end, up and after 400 hz or so it's a very light load.
    Some short thinking about how a high watt amp seems to pump better lows out and I figure much lower output impedance of the amp's output stage might allow it to pass more current before beginning to divide more voltage across it's self and less to the speaker. A lower power amp will likely have a higher impedance output and less of a power supply, those two things can wean off the available current at much less power than a high power amp.
    That's mainly for the previous generation of analog power amps.
    And to make a short story long I can toss in the fact that the output impedance also depends on the amp's input amplitude, that will chew away some of what I explained above. It may end up being the available current from the power supply being the main factor.

9. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Pbassmanca and JC Nelson like this.
  10. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    When my guitarists decides to make my ears bleed... I turn up so he involuntarily defecates all over himself.

11. My QSC RMX 1450 amp just sounds good! (A bit too heavy for me these days though.)

Pbassmanca and JC Nelson like this.
  12. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Power is cheap and lightweight these days, so why not have it even if you rarely, if ever, actually need it. I like having a lot of power on hand because I use smaller speakers (Markbass). Smaller speakers need more power to get big volume. Fortunately, the Markbass boxes can handle a lot of power.

Paul Glickman and agent19 like this.
  13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It wouldn't really be perceptible. Tubes usually have what SEEMS LIKE a power audibly equal to solid state 3x the power due to the clipping difference in tubes. Now, try 1200 watts and dayum! What a difference!

JC Nelson and dan1952 like this.
  14. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    ?

tom-g, DrMole and agedhorse like this.
  15. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    If you are running a lot of low end (and I mean a LOT of low end) you will need the extra wattage. Frankly, I don’t need that much wattage either. I own a power amp that can generate it, but I’ve never used more than 600-700 wats of it, ever.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use a Shuttlemax 12.2, with two 4 ohm cabs, which, technically gives me 1200 watt. Other than having a stereo power amp, it was the best head ( by far , imho ) to use for my cab situation.

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, I guess.

My “big” setup 800w going into a 410. I haven’t used it in years. When I use an amp I use a 500 watt combo (full 500 going to internal speakers). It is still way more than enough for any gig where I have PA support, which is every gig. I’m typically ampless now. as we use IEM so all I need is it little MXR M80 going to the board and I’m good to go.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Cldbenny

Cldbenny Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Wattage is cheap these days.

Being in the IT biz, storage and ram is also cheap (think Moore’s Law). That said, I always recommend to over-buy on storage and ram as it is there when you need it.

I also think that there is something to be said (not sure what) to the whole low frequency power demands, even at low volumes. Would like to know more about that.

Also, having a lot of power can be an emotional thing which is totally OK. Horsepower, Wattage, BTU’s, etc. If you want more for whatever reason, do it!

But like JRA says, “use caution”.

mrface2112 and 57pbass like this.
  19. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I’m surprised that @Stumbo hasn’t dropped by. Beware of the low notes shredding your speakers. HPF.

44C71298-7370-40D0-B63A-94C156AAF4C6.

20. Shoot, I had a 35w combo 12 that was just enough for a decently loud drummer. I then got a 75w 15 combo, and was perfectly loud enough to drown a 125w 212 guitarist also. Add another guitar, and the need for power became apparent. It's all relative.

2strings2frets and Pbassmanca like this.
  21. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    petch, Wisebass, spiritbass and 2 others like this.