1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1200 WATTS - WHY ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, May 26, 2019.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1000!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. 3dB from double the power, Sunshine. Ten x power for 10dB twice as loud. Assumes it stays clean all through the system, not a safe assumption past 100w per speaker.

3. Whoops, my bad - that's what I meant to say. I'll go back and fix it.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-

I use the same power amp and preamp for everything. I add additional speakers for the size of the stage/room, or for outdoor gigs. I've never played in a band that would put my bass through the P.A., my amp provided it all.

I have had a few bigger gigs that had contracted P.A. companies that put me through the P.A., but front of house only. I can think of one gig where the soundman put my bass into the monitors, and honestly it sounded like crap to me.

I think the vast majority of those of us who use higher wattage, and multiple speaker cabinets are wise enough to use only the necessary amount of volume for that particular gig.

I prefer my tone when I have power in reserve, and I'm now using a fairly nasty tone for the material my band plays. I barely have my power amp running past idle.

Pbassmanca and BassikBrad like this.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    My Dad was a Ham Operator. I remember him saying the same figures in regards to linear amplifiers.

6. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Haven't been through the thread but....
    Why not?

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I was recently thinking about this. It seems to me that acoustic drumsets over the last 25 years have seemed to project sound better, sound louder.

It's always a treat to play with a drummer who knows how to control his/her volume.

Keger Jupit, Pbassmanca and Tim1 like this.
  8. Bass Playa Please
    [​IMG]
    :D

9. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    In the configuration I normally use it my Power Amp is pushing 2000 watts. I play Greenboy fEARful cabs that can take that wattage and make good use of it. The Power Amp is always dimed to the max, but I try to be conservative with my Pre Amp Line Out level. Always glad to have more on tap.

IMG_20190422_181026.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Efficiency (and number) of speakers has as much relation to apparent volume as does the wattage rating of the amp.

11. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    If it's too loud you can always lower, if it's not loud enough your in heap big trouble

Gizmot, Arthur U. Poon and Pbassmanca like this.
  12. Dr. Gonzo82

Dr. Gonzo82

Jul 19, 2008
    The trend seems to be pushing lots of watts into small cabs....
    I'm the opposite, I like 200-300 watts into big cabs...

To each his own

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    1200 WATTS - WHY
    Headroom and transients.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    That makes sense. If I wasn't going through the PA at every gig I would probably bring my 800 watt setup. Maybe the 500 for smaller rooms, but 800 for anything bigger or outdoors. I'm not hating on it at all, as I used to use my 800 rig at every gig. It just seemed like overkill (for me) as I would barely touch the volume knob and I'd be overpowering the stage.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I would love to have that Acoustic 136 today! It was a gorgeous amp for the time. But I guess beauty is in the beholder. I don't have the same power requirements as you but sometimes still have to open up and my small setup and it still does the job nicely for me. GK MB500 with 2 x Eden EX110's get pretty loud for small clubs.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Pesky guitar players!!
    I'll show you!!
    (Cranks up volume)
    Proceeds to punch holes in the concrete walls with bass sixteenth notes.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Yes, if you are a guitarist, as you'll use them and drown out everyone else!

Arthur U. Poon and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    I had an 1973 acoustic 360 . I got rid of it in 83' and have regretted it ever since.Now all my heads are Mesa's 800 watt D class. Smaller , lighter, more tone-shaping options and more watts .. but there was just something undefinable about that Acoustic. I also have a Rumble 500 that must have had a dose of steroids in manufacture. It punches way above it's class volume -wise,and not too shabby tone-wise if you use sealed cabs, avoid the overdrive section and stick with the vintage button .The Mesa Titan V-12 was a nice head too, but my back was in trouble and I had to ( sadly) part company with it. Plenty of everything in that beauty..1200 watts of awesome .

19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Some one uses 200w becauses they got the similar needs cab combination and they think that their gigs need that kind of a power.

20. If you haven't the nouse to control the loud knob before the volume drops to nothing then you have too many watts.

If you haven't the nouse to keep it down enough that people can order drinks in your coverband bar gig then...

If you are going deaf then you should use less watts.

If you wake up with ringing ears...