Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1200W into 400W cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Jan 7, 2003.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I have eden 2x12" cab (400W RMS, 8ohms). Is it ok to put 1200W from my new poweramp bridged in it? Will I blow the speakers? I know that some high end cabs can handle 3x more power but eden...?

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You'll be OK as long as you don't crank the amp's volume or gain too high. Just keep a ear to your speakers and do NOT make them distort.

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    For small gigs I don't have trouble to cut through the mix with my 400W Hafler P300 poweramp, but on large venues I don't hear lows very well, so hope that adding extra power will help. Any opinion?

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    eden's 212 doesn't have much lowend to it nor does the 115's... it's mostly just their tens that go low...

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    More power would probably help, but you have to be wary of expecting too much from a relatively small cab. No matter how much power you put into it, there will come a point where it just won't give you any more. I don't know if you will reach that point in the venues you play, but it's something to keep in mind.

If possible, you might want to think about more power AND a 2nd cab.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    isn't the 212 the same size as the 4x10 xlt? if so that's not a very small cab... :confused:

7. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    If I put 15" for handling a lows, is it better to put active crossover to separate lows from mids, and second question, which 15" go with it? I've heard many good things about mesa 15". seems very tight .

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    is your power amp stereo? it has to be to use an active crossover... and you might actually get better lows from a good 410 or a better 212. you'll need to match the impedance as well. if the 212 is four ohms, an 8 ohm 115 would not be heard at high volumes due to inefficiency (you do want it to go low) and speaker surface...

aguilar 115's are great to answer your question...
    if you are looking for cheaper look into avatar they also go low... ;)

9. More power will help, if your present amp is now being driven into clipping.
    bi-amping will allow you to have better control over your bottom end. You'll need a stereo amp or 2 mono amps ( you probably already have one ) and a 2 way x-over. Ohms and efficiency isn't as critical when you are running 2 cabs bi-amped as it is when you are running them both full range mono. Since you have a seperate amp for each speaker, you can control its volume of one to match the other. I think I'd look for an Eden 15 to match up with my 2x12 but that is entirely up to you. I'm sure the Mesa will work fine. Good luck...... :D