Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

120w combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by russjm, Jan 30, 2005.

1. I'm looking to buy a combo for rehearsing and small gigs, something about 120w or there about, but not too big in size, a new arrival in the family due any day, so space is at a premium. I can spend maybe £250/300 ($400).

Any ideas? I've thought about the Ashdown EB 15/180, or maybe a Hartke kickback, or maybe I should get something used from ebay, what do you think?

2. Hey, nice to see you from bassworld! I would suggest the hartke kickback, sounds great and has enough volume for small gigs :D

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I say go for a Roland DB-500

4. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    for practice i am currently running an Ampeg BA-115. Simply put, this is the best amp i've ever owned. i had the Behringer ultrabass 3000t and it was ok, 300 watts for about 250 dollars, but one day it just blew up. The BA-115 can handle practice easily and can handle small gigs. It's 100watts through a 15 inch woofer and a piezo tweeter and it goes for about $450. I've had almost every other combo you could imagine including many hartakes and Ashdowns, but none of them quite gave me the punch i was looking for. The cab tilts back so you can hear what the hell you are doing also. :cool: get this amp man.

5. Ahh, nice to see you FBG, it's a real bummer Bassworld being down, I need my fix :( , and yeah, I reckon the kickback is favourite so far.

Tommy, I'd be interested in an Ampeg, but they're really expensive over here, and as far as the Behringer, I've heard bad things about them, so they're off my list.

I liked the look of the Roland Ape, maybe I'll check it out.

Thanks fellas.

6. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Roland DB500, or maybe a Roland Cube 100.

Both amazing amps for the price range and watt-range (is there such thing?).

I own a DB500 myself.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno about availablity and pricing on your side of the pond but i'm a big fan of the swr workingman's 15 and workingman's 12 (and i normally hate both the workingman's series and combos!!)
    the 12 has more of a focused midrange while the 15 sounds bigger. the 15 accepts an 8 ohm extension speaker, not sure if the 12 does or not. my buddy uses a wm 15 (back before the red on the face and the new icky square patterned grille) and it cuts a surprising # of gigs. i'm not sure the 12 would do as well for rock, but should handle smaller jazz/coffeehouse gigs and the like. i prefer the sound of the 12, but i think the 15 is more useable.

8. Yeah, I used to have a Gallien-Krueger Backline 112, with a 12 inch speaker, it was 100w, and sounded sweet, really punchy if a little bit too bright, but just a bit underpowered, it started to distort at volume. So I need something with a bit more juice, 120/150w with a 15 inch cone should do it.

9. Bassworlds back up mate!

10. Eh?? :eek: right, I'm off !!

11. Hehe!

12. Mmmmmm. That aint the Bass World I know/knew!! :scowl: :scowl:

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Yorkville XM200 :bassist:

14. +1

15. +1. for a little combo it pushes a great amount of air

16. Thanks for all your input fellas. I'm now the proud owner of a Roland DB500. My Yamaha BB3000S sounds truly amazing through it, I can't wait to crank it up :hyper:

17. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've had mine going on 7 yr's. I wouldn't be without it. It's warm, punchy and fills my gigging needs for 90% of everything I do right now. It weighs about 50lb's and rated at 160watts with it's 15" speaker. $380 right now including shipping. I paid $430 back in 97'. It's little brother (pb100) is only $280

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=PB200-15&CID=BA