1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1212/6 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikeee71, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    I just finished up my 1212/6 build from speakerhardware minus the 6" mid I am still waiting to come in. I have every thing hooked up minus the 6"mid. So I plugged my amp into just to see how it sounds and with just the 2 12s and it has kind of a "Honky" midrangy sound to it. it just doesn't sound very good. So my question is will the 6"mid really pull it all together that much? I am using prebuilt crossovers from speakerhardware. I have the cab lined with 2" poly foam. I am using a GK MB Fusion 800 Head.
    Speakerhardwares kits are are really well put to together and easy to assemble by the way!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You're only hearing the bottom half of your sound. Get the 6" in, make sure everything is wired up properly according to instructions...and smile.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    "Honky" could mean your wiring is off and you're hearing the LF woofers full-range. If they were lowpassed without the high side, it should sound "thuddy", or "muddy".

Might just be a vocabulary thing between us though.

4. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    They are not muddy at all. They midrangy sounding. The crossover was pre built
    and the circuit board its on has for tabs to plug in. One says in+ and the one next to it is the neutral and other side of the board has a + terminal and a neutral terminal
    The in+ is what I have the power coming in!

5. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Should sound deep and thunderous without upper content. Of course if you have not built the box for the mid yet and a bunch of air is comin out the mid hole, who knows;)

6. One would hope the missing woofer wires aren't loose in there. Wouldn't want to be releasing the magic smoke.

7. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    The box for the mid is built.

8. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I had a 1515/66 from low down sound and the crossover failed so the higher content did not go to the mids, and those higher notes did sound crappy through the 3015lf's.
    Hope that helps.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Jf he has a real fEarful kit, the crossover ain't gonna fail. It's built to handle more than the voice coils can.

OP, if you're hearing a very "midrangey" sound, without the 6" being in there....that would lead me to believe your woofer is recieving a full signal, rather than passing through the frossover part first.

Although, with the crossover being there around 750-800hz, you may have your filters right, but are still hearing the woofer only.

Anyway, check that stuff. If it's right, get the 6" in there before making final judgements.

FWIW, they are a bit midrangey, and deep bassy, compared to regular bass cabs. You might be just hearing stuff you're not used to hearing.

The 15 and the 6 are designed to work together as a system. If you're without either one, it will sound worse than a regular speaker playing everything. Once you get them together, it can do things one regular speaker can't do.

10. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks for the help guys! I will wait for my mid and give it another try!

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    That is an extremely bad idea. Without the mid driver loading the crossover the high pass board will present a near dead short to your amp at the resonant frequency of the C-L-C network. It'll sound awful as well, as you now know. Disconnect the high pass board inputs if you want to hear just the 12s.

12. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    The high pass was not hooked up. I guess I should just leave it be until the mid gets here I just got a little eager to play thru it! You now how we all get with new toys!

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Sure do. I'm sitting on a killer 500 watt power module that I'm dying to try, but tracking down the two dollar part I need to wire it up correctly has taken a couple of weeks, and now I need to figure out some other stuff to order to make shipping charges at least somewhat reasonable.

Hope you enjoy your new cab as much as I liked my 12/6. :bassist:

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I once hooked up my 12/6 wherein I bypassed everything and went right from speakon to 3012LF terminals. I got the same honky result. Those drivers are meant to be used in combination with a crossover etc.

15. Ever baked a cake and left out the baking powder?

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Unleavened bread? That's pretty righteous stuff.

17. Without sugar maybe, but with the sugar and butter all to whack it ain't no pastry! Bring on the mid driver!

18. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Has anyone tried running the 3012lf's fullrange and then adding in the mid, to possibly get more of a midrange breakup? You may not notice the honk so much with the mid working. I think that I'd like to try it. I've done it with other cabs with good results.

19. My understanding is that the 3012LFs exhibit a spike around 1.5k that is negated by the lowpass xover. So running it full-range could give dubious results.

Peter

20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, but its not a huge spike and not in a bad spot so, I thought it could add some character to the very sterile, clean fearful sound. Ill have to find out for myself.