.125/.130 Low B help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ndrifka, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ndrifka

ndrifka

Aug 14, 2008
    What, if any are the differences between a .125 or .130 low B string? Is there any noticable difference in feel/tension or tone? I currently have my Yamaha BB415 strung with a .130 low B. I am looking for a twangier/punchier low B and thought that a .125 low B may accomplish that, but then I am worried that the tension will drastically decrease. This may be a simple question :meh:, but I figured I'd ask for opinions before I shell out the money for a "trial" set. Thanks.

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I had a .130 on my spector and I prefer it than my .125 now.

3. ndrifka

ndrifka

Aug 14, 2008
    What did you like about the .130?

4. D'Addario's tension charts!!!

0.125 at B = 31.4 pounds, 0.130 at B = 34.5.

5. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Trust your ear, that would be the best judge.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've found the host instrument and string type / brand has more of an effect than string gauge when it comes to tone.

Riis

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Sadowsky and Labella make great B strings. I highly recommend the Sadowsky Blue Nickels that have a good B (0.130 taper). And the Hard Rockin' Steel Labella B string is also very good (0.128 taper). I have also had good results with D'Addario Nickel XLs (0.130 no taper).

Right now I am on the Sadowsky Blue Nickel band wagon. These are some great long lasting strings with a good B. I had a bass player pick up my bass today at church and ask me if I had new strings on my bass. They are 3 months old and punchy, warm, and defined.

8. ndrifka

ndrifka

Aug 14, 2008
    Thanks for the examples. I'll have to try 'em out. I have a set of GHS Boomers (.045-.130) laying around, so I think I'll start with those since I already have them. Nickel wrap is definetely my sound. I do see a lot of good reports on Sadowsky strings, so I think they'll be next. Other than tension/feel, is there any general difference in tone between .125 and .130? I've always been told to go with the .130 for some reason.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021