Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

.125 E. Ball roundwound doesn't fit my bridge.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by haplo07, Mar 28, 2003.

1. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Hi ppl.

to you moderators i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but my problem stems from the fact that a Ernie Ball custom gauge rounwound .125 would not fit my copley's bridge. it's a through-the-body and a top-load bridge, set for top loading. it wouldn't fit in around the ball on the string. even got stuck and i have a b!tch of a time getting it out. i had to take the pliers and gouge the grove for it to fit, even now i can tell i'm going to have to have the local repair guy either file open the grove and file it down to it looks nice, or replace the bridge.

has this happend with anyone else using EB strings, or any other brand for that matter?

and yes i know i could have just gotten another string, but i had just put a new set on, b/c the b broke and i got the EB as a replacement (yes it looks wierd) i figured out side of looks and a little tone it would be no problem. i never figured i'd have a problem fitting a sting in.

i widened the grove on the bridge, because well what if it happens again?

i'm still new to bass, starting to find out not all manufacturers use make roundwound the same way at the ends of their stings and seeing how expensive stings are a damned string should go on my bass no problem outside of scale issues and how i have it set up for gauges.

was i wrong in the idea of making the string fit?

i paid $10 for that string. couldn't take it back.

btw it works now. i just have to have the grove filed down and a repair man yank it out of the groove, if i don't do it on my own.

is it possible to salvage the bridge cosmetic wise? should i just replace it, and if so with what?

so to sum it up

* has anyone one else had a similar problem with this string or another brand?

*was i wrong in doing what i did?

oh yeah

can the bridge be altered (gold plated hardware) by having it filed at the top loading grove, or would i be saving $ replacing the whole frigging thing? if so with what? any suggestions?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Is this a four-string, a five-string, or what?

3. His profile says a Copely 5 string.

4. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    sorry it took me a while to get back to this.

i have two basses, the one in mention here is the 5 string as mentioned by john k.