.125 low B on a string saddle designed for a .105 low E

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 12, 2005.

1. Ok, I just strung my Thumb with a .125(i think it is, it feels like one, it isnt a .130). Anyhow, it seems to fit fine in the Just-A-Nut II(the nut seems to have stretched or something, is this ok?), but it sits on top of the string saddle. It doesn't qutie fit properly. Is this ok?
  2. I can't take pics and host them. I have no hosting service and Photobucket doesn't work.
  3. Nick - just a suggestion:

It really doesn't help your cause if you start a new thread every time a thought crosses your mind. :meh: :meh:
  4. Why shouldn't I? It's a forum for asking questions.
  5. Well, I meant the string saddles at the bridge. Sorry for not making that clear.
  6. Fair enough - carry on then.

Sorry I spoke. :( :(
  7. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I'm not quite sure I understand the exact nature of your problem but taperwound strings would help because they're narrower where the bridge saddle is. I had a problem with the bridge on 5-string neck of my Galveston doubleneck - I put a .132 flatwound low B on it and had to peel the silk wrapping off the string end and flatten it slightly with pliers to get it to go into the bridge. String didn't break, though. I used a taperwound string for the low C on the 4-string neck (tuned CGDA).
  8. Hmm, I can't find any taperwound strings in england.
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
  10. That's odd. Rotosound makes their own type of taperwound strings, called Piano String Design, that your local dealer should be able to order for you if you ask, and The Bass Gallery in London advertises Labella Super Steps on their site. So, even if you can't find a taperwound string stockist in York, such strings ought to be no further than a phone call, and a padded envelope, away. How about that?
  11. Hmmm, they only seem to have a pciture of the pack rather than the actual strings listed for sale.
  12. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Try www.stringbusters.com they do La Bella and can order in dr high beams with a taperwound b. Cheaper to. Sadowsky also do s/s and nickel roundwounds with a tapered b, you can order them www.sadowsky.com.
  13. Ahh the Super Steps. I had seen em but until recently I didn't realise they were taperwound, as it didn't say so. I take it that a .118 for a low C might be about the right tension?
  14. Try scrolling down a bit, and use your reading skills. The Gallery's site isn't that well designed, I'll give you that, but you'll find out both what gauges of Super Steps they sell, and how much they cost, by doing just that. They are actually decently priced.
  15. I can't find em. Are the Super Steps tapered towards the nut too?
  16. No just at the bridge.

Martin usually does great deal on them.
  17. Look again, and this time, try finding a code consisting of "SS" (as in Super Steps), two digits, and "B" (as in B string), followed by the individual strings' gauges. Good luck.
    Are there such a thing as a string tapered towards the nut too, BTW? Don't think I've ever heard of such a concept.
  18. If they were taperwound at the nut it'd mean I didn't have to have the nut widened.
  19. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I've seen a bass that had the low 4 of a 5 string set on a bass. I snapped off the top and bottom sections of the nut (plastic nut) so be careful.