Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

.128 - .130 B Strings - Is there a difference??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Have any of you guys (and gals) found any significant difference between a .128 and a .130 gauge B string? I currently use Labella Super Steps with a .128 B on my Smith 6. The strings I've always loved are Elixirs and I'm wondering before I go through th trouble of doing the bridge changes to give me the same action ( the LaBella's are exposed core strings, and with the Elixirs, I'll have to adjust the saddles and what not) if I'll really get the extra beef that my mind (and physics) tell me I should with a heavier gauge string.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    not much difference betwee .128 and .130...there are, however, a zillion differences between the elixirs and labellas. i'm really not a fan of either, but i've tried them both and they're really apples and oranges.

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    What would some of those difference be, and what is your preference and why??

To me, there's nothing like the bright brilliance and zing, plus crisp responsiveness of fresh new strings. So I change them often. I like the Labella's for the exposed core on B, E, A D, & G (C is thin enough that it really doesn't matter) and the really low action I'm able to get because of it. Plus I jut like exposed core strings. GHS makes some too, but I can't find them anywhere. I don't know if they even make them anymore.

Your input is greatly appreciated.