1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12AX7/ECC83 tube inquiry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishtx, Mar 31, 2009.

1. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Hey guys,

I was cleaning out the closet, and found an old box of "stuff" with some guitar junk I've been carrying around for many years. Amoung this stuff, I found a set of old 12AX7/ECC83 tubes that are branded by Carvin, and labeled as "Made in Hungary"...

I had a Carvin 100XB Guitar amp back in the early 80's (maybe 83 or so), and I remember thinking to get the hot sound I needed, I had to replace the tubes with Groove Tubes (oh to be young, drunk and stupid again!), so these these tubes were replaced and have very little time on them...

Is anyone familiar with Hungarian tubes of this time period, and if so, I would like your thoughts.

I did some digging and found a company called "Tungsram" that was a hungarian tube manufacturer at that time, and from what I've read, these are fairly rare and sought after tubes...is there any way to confirm who made these tubes (maybe ping Carvin?)..???

Thanks...

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep, they are most likely tungsrams. i have a bunch of them (labeled tungsram) and they sound very good.

3. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Those GTs you bought were probably good too, USA production most likely.

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    actually, groove tube 12ax7's can be anything from Sovteks to Chinese as they are just relabled imported tubes. i have never cared for groove tubes and i thinkt the hungarian (tungsrams) would be better than the GT's.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm not a fan of GT either but now that Fender owns them I'm hoping things will change.

Also can not wait til Tech Valve starts realising their new Production Tubes.

6. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    My point was that pre-83 GTs would not be Chinese or Soviet/Russian (too early) and likely something very good. I know of GTs into the very early '90s that were USA built, most of the ones I've seen were GEs (with that telltale 'braille' script).

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you're absolutely correct. most, if not all of the early GT's were USA (GE's), but i also found many of them to be the last of the USA surplus tubes and of questionable quality, and to me, had a rather low reliability rate for USA tubes.