1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12AX7: JJ/Tesla vs. Tung-Sol

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Nov 10, 2006.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm considering selling my B100-R combo to get a Traynor YBA-200, but I'm leery of the stock Sovteks in the preamp. I've read good things about JJ/Tesla and Tung-Sol 12AX7s. How do these tubes compare tonally? Does one brand provide more headroom before distorting vs. the other?

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Tubers? And I'm not talking spuds or yams....:smug:

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've gotten nothing but excellence out of JJ tubes from www.eurotubes.com

Never used Tung-Sol

4. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    JJ are very clear and Hi-FI sounding in my opinion...it even made my mesa 400+ sound clear....I have no idea about the tung sol's..

I have to prop this guy, cause he did me really good, so shameless plug for www.dougstubes.com

Bought some JJ-ECC83's (JJ's name for 12ax7) from him and some other "power" tubes for my musicmaster bass amp. Great guy and just as cheap as eurotubes....I like to support the underdog sometimes tho...

5. ECC83 is the british/european naming for the 12AX7 (which is the american), maybe its the other way around? not sure, its the same with many pre tubes.

Ive got "high gain" 12AX7s JJs (from eurotubes also) in my SVT, and they sound devine :bassist:

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

I yanked the Sovtek out of my XS800H Yorkville within days of picking it up. Installed a JJ and never looked back. They are not expensive and you don't need golden ears to be able to hear the difference. Check'em out.

Rezdog

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

IMO, the Tung-Sols are very clean and a little more even tonally, top to bottom, but the JJs are a little punchier, with more oomph. I have both in my 2-channel pre. :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021