1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12AX7 TUBES??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shababy32, Feb 21, 2016.

1. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    Howdy folks! I recently bought an ART Tube preamp the other day. I've had some positive reviews with the exception of the cheap Chinese tubes that come with them. Any input on what 12AX7 tube to use? I've gotta Ampeg portaflex 500 head. I want the sound to be warm, yet bright, punchy and clean. Well as clean as u can get with a SG Bass!

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    here's a good resource with customers ratings. i purposely started you on a page with a cheap Chinese tube that just kills, imo. i occasionally swap out tubes in my preamp and every time i plug these babies in i get flooded with tone compliments!

www.thetubestore.com - Shuguang 12AX7-A Audio Tubes

3. I often find those "cheap Chinese" tubes to perform better than the cheap and over-priced Russian ones ;).

agedhorse and pacojas like this.
  4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Lots of expensive tubes started off as cheap Chinese ones, then someone with a glass printer bought them.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. The ART tube pre uses a starved plate design if I'm not mistaken, which is much easier on tubes and doesn't impart the tube's own sonic signature to a level that is noticeable. But if you must, I find JJ's to be pretty good and they're cheap, too.

6. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    I really appreciate the input from everyone. Like my daddy told me when I was a young, "the only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked." He also said, "you can polish a turd till its nice and pretty, but it's still a turd!"

High Camp likes this.
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My daddy used to say, "You can't polish a turd, but if you rub long and hard enough, you can bring one up to a nice luster".

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    dorodango_by_furryprospector1559-d69c2t7.

Times change.

Icemanaroonie likes this.
  9. The new Mullard reissue, Tung Sol reissue, and JJ ECC83S are are very nice and relatively inexpensive.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Have not tried the Mullard but I tried the Tung Sol. I imagine there would be an amp I would like it in, but I haven't dug it in my Ampegs...sounds good but it's too bright.

11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I love the JJ gold pin and reissue Tung Sol. The JJ is a bit clearer/brighter sounding while the TS is a bit richer.