Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12's good with Low B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bonzai, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    I was over at SWR's site and checking out the 12 Stack 4x12 cabinet. It has really got my attention. Does anyone know how good the Low B response is on this cabinet or any other cabinet with 12's? Thanks for your replys.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much are you willing to spend?

also, does it have to be a huge 4x12'ish cab???

Epifani's used to be the king of the 2x12 heap round here, until lots of guys started raving about their Bergie 2x12's for that meaty, yet rounded tone.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have an EBS 2x12. It handles my B's very well.

4. Both my old Eden D212XLT's and current EB-MM HD212's are VERY B-string friendly. They add a robust quality and seem well suited to the frequency range; maybe something to do with the 60Hz harmonic?? I dunno...mine rock.

5. I play a fender jazz5 through an ashdown mini48 (4X8" - 600 watts) and it handles the low b with no problems :)

6. I had an Eden 2-12 xlt for about 2 weeks and it was horrible for the low B I hat to roll off ol my lows cause the speakers were flaping like no tomorrow.

7. Hmmm...I pushed a whole lotta subharmonic dub stuff and didn't really have that problem at all. Were your cabs older..? I know that the Eden 2x12 has a reputation for "loosening up" pretty quick. the Bass Player review made a point of going on about how "B-friendly" they were which was a bit of a selling point for me. Don't think I'd buy 'em again tho'; there are much tighter 12" cabs to be had.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    -----------------------------------------------
    I had an Eden 2-12 xlt for about 2 weeks and it was horrible for the low B I hat to roll off ol my lows cause the speakers were flaping like no tomorrow. had an Eden 2-12 xlt for about 2 weeks and it was horrible for the low B I hat to roll off ol my lows cause the speakers were flaping like no tomorrow.
    ------------------------------------------------
    I have found that often times we presume it's the speakers fault a speaker chokes on a low B when in fact, the amplifier does not have the power to respond to the very demanding transient current draw those low notes require. I demoed an Eden 4X10 XLT last week and it was choking on the low notes when I used an SWR SM350, but then when I used the Mo Bass head (just to prove the power theory), the Low B note sounded much much tighter on the same cabinet. YMMV
    Gary

9. Good point. My Eden's sounded pretty floppy with my Mesa head and tight as you'd want with my GK.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah headroom, and lots of it, has alot to do with tone quality.

11. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a pair of Epifani 1x12s (basically the same thing as the old-style 212, but easier to carry) and they have a great low end. They like a lot of power - I run 'em with a Stewart 1.2. I used to run 'em with a GK1001RB and they were good with that, too, but they like the additional headroom of the larger amp.

12. Dude, if you have enough power into 2 12's it should handle it fine! And you shouldn't be asking this question with 4 12's. Dude, thats like asking "Can a cable modem handle websites?"

Dude:rolleyes:

4x12's are frickin BIG. I'd think it'd be the equivalent of a 2x15 for lowend. And the 12's are punchier and have more definition than a 15 anyways.

GOod luck on your decision. BEst thing to do is try it out if you have access to it. Bringing your own bass into the shop and testing it out won't hurt.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think if you look at the specks for the SWR 4/12 & 2/12 cab you will notice they don't go down that low......I think they are aimed at the more older school rock vibe. But most other companies multi 12 cabs are designed to go low......the low end and B string capablity of my Bergie 2/12 is massive, same with the Ernie Ball 2/12 I recently got from e-bay;)