12v amp system takes leap forward

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hambone, May 19, 2002.

1. Some of you might remember a few months ago that I have been assembling a bi-amp rig using a Pyramid Reno series amp as the power. My main reason was the inexpensive but high quality of the 12v component - 300w per side 15-30k frequency response, 2 ohm stable, bridgeable, etc.,etc.

Well, the system is now racked and rollin'. And yesterday, I made a sweet deal on an Alesis 3630 2 channel compressor to round out the signal chain. The system is now about as complete as I want to make it except for acquiring some better cabinets to handle this honkin' beast. The cabs I have now have just teased me regarding just how good this system can sound. I will make a prediction that this rig will compare to some of the nice Aguilar, Eden, Mesa, etc. stuff when we get to side by side compare at the TB Get-Together later in the summer.

Here's a rundown on the costs so far:

Pyramid Reno PB446 - 79.00 - ebay
    Yamaha PB-1 Preamp - 75.00 - used/Music-go-Round
    Alesis 3630 Compressor - 59.00 - used/Galaxy
    Pyramid 12v converter - 60.00 - new/ebay
    Rack - 0.00 - Homebuilt from aluminum
    15" Gauss speaker - $30 - used ebay
    2 x 12" Thump drivers - 49.00 - new - ebay
    Cabinets - 40.00 - material only.

$392.00 spent thus far and it's kickin' better than any amp rig I've played so far. I'll keep you informed
  2. DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    Not to rain on your parade, but being a highly active member in the 12v scene for car audio I can tell pyramid is not that great of quality, along with thump.

Those 2 are not high quality brands at all...

For a little bit more money you should check out www.adireaudio.com And look for the shivas...originally used as home audio subs, but found thier way over to mobile use...

And as far as amps, JBL power series can be had really cheap! $260 for a 1200 watt amp, bridgable at 1 or 2 ohm, great deal. You can shop at ikesound.com or scala1 on ebay for that.

BTW don't believe the specs on pryamid subs, or amps...same goes for thump...

Thier power stated is most likely PEAK at around 20v while constantly being cooled to prevent overheating, and eary death. And mind you this spec is only for about .5 -1 sec...(might be exagerating a little, but only to get point across)
  3. You aren't raining on any parade of mine cuz you're marching down a different street altogether! Your misunderstanding of my project is my fault though, first because I left off the "s" on the word component(s) in my earlier post and second because it isn't particularly important to me that Pyramid isn't looked at by auto audiophiles as high quality. That's OK :) My main point with my first paragraph is that, overall, car audio components can produce high fidelity sound from small boxes at an extremely affordable price. This system was built with one thing in mind - ECONOMY!!. I doubt you will argue that fact given what I got for my $79.

Again, I'm not interested in building a system totally from car audio components. The 2 x 12 cab I have is an inexpensive unit built to get sound from an amp - an Acoustic 220 at the time of construction. I use it at home, at low levels, and have found nothing lacking in their performance, in this role. As my post implied, this cab isn't my final selection for the amp rig and will be replaced with something more suitable when I deem it time.

Thanks for the tip - that sounds like an interesting unit to be sure. But bear in mind with the economy angle, the JBL costs 2.6 cents per watt while my perfectly usable Pyramid costs 1.3 cents per watt. Of course that's advertised watts and different from the real world situation but you get the idea.

I didn't believe them completely then and I don't now. All amp manufacturers (yep JBL too!) have their own method of rating their equipment. Some don't even publish the same specs but expect you to compare based on their hyped figures. That's OK too. This amplifier is more powerful and cleaner than the forementioned Acoustic and that is not a matter of argument. It is also 20 lbs lighter (even with the 12v power supply) and that's all I wanted to accomplish. Even your assessment of how Pyramid rates their amps is a guess as your statement indicates. That's OK too, and thanx for the heads up. But this rig is more high fidelity and more controllable than any system I've had before. And I am an unrepentant tinkerer so I HAD to do this, if for no other reason than to say I did :). If all you say is true (it could be, I don't know for sure) then I've still got a better rig than I had before. If the power rating is half of advertised I've still got 300 watts bridged (180 for the Acoustic). If the THD is double what's advertised, I'm still under 1% total. God knows what the Acoustic is! If the frequency response is only 40 - 20,000 Hz as you would indicate by your derision of the amp, I've still got plenty on the low end and more than enough in the upper to do a nice job.

I understand that your point of view and as it relates to car audio, it is valid. But that's not what I'm trying to accomplish here. My best analogy would be to say that a hammer is an absolutely fabulously suited tool for driving nails - None better. But it can do a pretty good job cracking walnuts as well!
  4. DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    From economy standpoint you did perfectly fine, just wasn't sure that was the angle you wanted...

As far as THD...really no need to worry about it...most subs, even higher quality ones push about 10% distortion anyways.

Good luck to you on your rig, hope it turns out well...tuff to beat for the money too.