Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12vers. . .for those diehard Dougaholics. .. .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fremenblue, Jul 20, 2003.

1. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Check out Yammy's custom axe made for Doug Pinnick of King's X.

[​IMG]

Two piece alder body, three-piece quartersawn graphite-reinforced hard maple neck (2" at nut), ebony fingerboard, double-action stainless steel truss rod, graphite nut, phenolic headstock overlay, Gotoh tuners, Schaller-type bridge, custom aircraft grade aluminum tailpiece. It's not neck-thru or set but a six-bolt setup. The color is Deep Edgewood Blue (Ford custom color). Notice only one knob, volume. I'd prefer some tone control. . .pickup is a Seymour Duncan Bassline P.

Big rumours of a Pinnick signature 12ver coming our way via Yamaha. If you wanna express your support for that, let me know and I'll get ya a good email for the right cat at Yammy.

[​IMG]

Support the 12ver Revolution! ;)

fremenblue

2. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
  3. I thought Hamer were the only company to do 12-strings for lefties.Maybe it was a one off for Doug.He has a four string model as well.

4. I like the color and shape of the les paul like body:)

I never played any octave string basses...

What do the extra strings do?:confused:

-Jon:oops:

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The extra strings are tuned unsion with each other one octave above the bass string.

It gives a kind of full/chorus kind of sound. Also very grinding. Kind of hard to explain.....you have to just hear or play one.

6. Quote "What do the other strings do?"

Answer: Get in the way.

Now really. Thats a cool bass. Kind of nice to see people going back to passive again.

7. hehe,get in the way:)

8. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Yup, a custom, ie. one-off. I asked John, who made the bass, about a signature line. He said it was off in the future somewhere, nothing in the works right now. He did offer to build me a bass though. :D Not for free, obviously. I'm afraid to ask what it might cost, to be honest, for a custom 12ver.

fremenblue

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have two Hamer 12vs. I factory and I custom. Trust me, the difference in price between my two 12s is considerable. The funny thing is that I like the cheaper factory bass better.

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have been playing a 12 String since 1998. I play a Hamer USA Chaparall. The sound is unreal.
    They are alot of fun to play.
    [​IMG]

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have the same one. I got mine in 95' and it rocks. It sounds like no other......

12. Scamp

Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    The new bass player for the Deli Creeps plays a 12 through most of their sets. It sounds fantastic and has a hell of a kick to it which he definately needs playing with buckethead.

13. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Who is Buckethead ? he is pretty tall, I think it
    may be Paul Gilbert x-Mr Big ??? anyone know ?

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think he's just 'buckethead...'
    Brian something-or-other? Carroll, according to his bio...

15. According to my friend he's a "fantastic" guitar player,and he also plays bass...

Personally,I dun like his stuff...at all.

16. yeah anyone who wheres a bucket from a kfc 12 pc meal on there head gets no respect from me:

[​IMG]

17. haha...of course,he is fast and "good" at guitar and stuff,but the 'music' he makes,doesn't tickle my fancy...

18. it's 12...just counted...

thats double-octave dude,that must take forever to tune.

19. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Dave, could you elaborate? I know the price diff, we're talking in the realm of a 1.5k difference at least. What is it that is better about the Korean than the US-made? Is it more of a vibe thing that defies description? I understand the Korean bass has a wider string spacing. My Musicvox is the same way, makes it easy to play fingerstyle which I very much appreciate. I like the design of my Musicvox too, that the octave strings are over the fundamentals rather than under. That also contributes to comfortably playing fingerstyle.

Oh, for any of you who have some bones to burn and wanna have a custom 12ver made, John does do custom stuff on the side. He offered to build for me. . ..I wish! I'd like to see what an Attitude-style 12ver would be like. Maybe one day. . . My guess is the quality would be top-notch, he's working in a killer facility and has a serious track record.

fremenblue

20. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    fremenblue,

My main 12ver is the Chapparal. It is US and I believe one of the last Chicago-made Hamer 12s.
    I have been keeping it strung as an eight the last two years.

My other 12 is a custom that looks very similar to Jeff Ament's huge black 12. It has a giant oversize body and different electronics than my other 12. It also has a flat, smaller headstock. It is really comfortable to play, but it just does not have the "sizzle" that the other bass has.

As far as the difference between the Korean vs American, I really cannot help you there. I have only played one Korean Hamer. It seemed alright, but that was a really long time ago.

As far as the vibe thing, I think I am more attached to my Chapparal because I have played literaly, hundreds of gigs with it. I know it inside out.

How is the Musicvox? I have been curious about that and the Galveston bass. ??