13 Pin Effects - Other Than Roland V-Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bubingaboy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Hi everybody,

I usually "hang out" in the bass forums but this seemed like the appropriate place for this thread. I'm not totally into the effects thing but will be once I get my new bass.

I own a Roland V-Bass unit. I'm having a bass built that has the built in bridge/preamp to allow me to connect directly to the Roland V-Bass directly (I no longer have to use the GK-2B).

Are there any other products out there, like the V-Bass, that have the 13 pin input but have a greater variety of "synth", "string", "brass", etc sounds? The V-Bass has great effects and amp/bass models but it is lacking in the "sounds like a different instrument" sound.

I'd love a unit that is like the Roland GR-33 for guitar, but for BASS.

So, any and all help would be great in this area.

2. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Exactly what you're looking for: the newest Roland guitar synth, the "GR20" Go to roland's website, find the "Version 2 software" download, then upload it to the gr20. If you need help on how to upload midi files, search for "v-bass" becuase someone recently helped me on how to upload midis to the v-bass, should be the same process. You can then choose guitar or bass applications, the instructions say. It says for either the gk-2b or gk-3b so I assume the 2b should suffice for tracking.

I do not own a gr20 but its probably the same process.

Much appreciated if anyone can post an mp3 sample of this unit.
  3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Errm ... the Yamaha G50, but you'll still need a MIDI synth as the G50 just provides the 13-pin input -> MIDI out. Still, for flexibility, this can't be beat - decent multi-timbral MIDI synth modules (eg Kork 05/RW) can be had for a pittance these days.