1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

13 Pin Midi Pickup 4 Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by agreatheight, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Does anyone know which manufacturers make 13 pin midi pickups for bass? I'm gonna build myself a Warmoth P pickup Jazz Bass and want to install one of these devices but want as much info as possible before. How do they work on bass, who makes them, are there any in bridge options, etc? Would love to hear from anyone who has one or knows about them. Thanks!

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Roland makes them and they work well. I have one in my Benavente fretless bass - if you are building a bass you ought to get the internal GK-kit.

Roland doesn't make in-bridge solutions. If you want it in the bridge, you'll need piezo pickups. Hook up with GraphTech or RMC (which many say is the best there is).

3. I know Roland makes a Midi pickup, but I couldn't find anything about the internal kit on their site - that would a great option. Also, I could only find guitar midi pickups from GraphTech and RMC (I also have heard some nice things about RMC) on their websites - am I just having a bad internet morning?

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi

5. Yamaha Also makes a 13-pin Midi Bass Pickup.
    The B1D pickup which will work on a 4 - 5 - 6
    string bass. I saw one of these on Victor
    Wooten's Fodera.

Also the Roland and Yamaha external pickups
    are very easy to disassemble and mount
    internally.