1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

13-String Bass has been Completed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Jun 23, 2007.

1. You might remember the earlier discussions on this bass, and the...inexperienced(?) guy who was building it. Well, looks like he finished it. It's all strung up and everything, though I don't know what kind of strings or tuning he's using, says he's still working on that. I can't imagine that the neck on that bass would hold up to the full tension of 13-strings all tuned in 4ths (over 300lbs tension?) :eek:

Have at it...

:bag:

2. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    :eyebrow:

If it works for him...

3. That's crazy....

But really cool too!

I thnk there needs to be frets, or at least put lines on it. The higher up you get on a fretless the harder it is to stay right on pitch when the spacing between the 'frets' gets smaller and smaller.
    IMO

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    That's crazy. Awesome, IMO. Doubt I'd play it or own one, but cool none-the-less.

5. Whazzza peekooop?? :eyebrow:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good for him! I thought some of the comments people made to him about it were totally out of line. Glad to see he didn't let it discourage him.

7. Garry isn't going to be happy about this one. :bag:

8. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I hear Jean is also having one made... cant wait to see that one

as far as this one goes... i think the top horn will snap off and cause the entire bass to shatter headstock first bc its smaller and less well made than a ritters horn, so if he tries to strap that thing up, it'll just snap.

wait... maybe this IS actually Jean's bass, just he felt like going experimental on it

9. I thought Gary already had one made... but there just arent any pictures....

10. I'm really glad he got it finished, nice to see guys doing something just because they want to. Though he could've lined up his tuners a bit better...

11. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    that thing looks like crap. the colors are horrid and the whole thing looks BLEARGFFF. if that man can post a video where he ACTUALLY plays that bass, i will be amazed, and i will consider ordering one. having more strings than a guitar scares me.

im going to stick with my 4, 5, and 8 strings for now thank you.

12. Cool, but it annoys me how he only types in caps...

13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    13 string?, Fretless?, That dude is crazy! The bass looks thrown together. FUGLY! If I went with a super ERB, I'd call Conklin. At least they do them right. That thing is a nightmare!
    The way it is strung is too confusing and it just plain looks like crap. If im not mistaken, Conklin makes a 10. If I had the money I would be interested in a Conklin 8 string tuned Low F#,B,E,A,D,G, Hi C, Hi F#. Heck for bass 4 or 5 is plenty but for fun and jazz players and soloists, an 8 would be nice.

14. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    He just is using a piece of wood for a bridge...intonating that thing must be fun!

15. Primus

Primus Guest

Mar 22, 2007
    Until I don't hear it, I don't like it.
    Never been a fan of more than 6 strings..

Perfect for the "bass playing is easier" guitar players though

16. He hasn't actually tuned it yet, so it isn't playable anyways. And the neck is made of Pine. I don't think it'll hold up :eek:

Didn't he say it weighed like 50lbs in one of the other vids?

17. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Yeah, I've been watching this guy for a while and was thinking of posting this.

Hey, good for him, is all I can say. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like :bag:

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    So it's a warwick?
    :D

19. "Once it's tuned we'll get some real boom from it, I'm sure of it"

Yeah, something's gonna go boom :p

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    John Turner's doubleneck only needed 14 strings....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021