Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John C. Reilly, Feb 14, 2005.

1. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hmm... no prices listed, unless I missed them. Does that fall under the "If You Have to Ask..." category?
  3. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    the dst amp is 1599.00. and the divided by 13 amps seem to sell for around 2400 used. i asked a friend that is into boutique amps and he said that they sell used for just about new, due to demand. these are the amps that were used at the super bowl on sunday
  4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Addressing the issues of maintenance costs and practicality involved in owning a large tube bass amp, efforts were made to design an amp that not only captured and exceeded the tones offered by our favorite large tube bass amp from New Jersey, but was also reliable and affordable to maintain.

That's really well written. :eyebrow:
  5. ...and TOTAL BS. "issues of maintenance costs and practicality"... as opposed to issues with THEIR amp? There are none. A tube amp is a tube amp. That's a HUGE negative in my book. Instead of letting their product's sound do it's own selling, they have to down old Ampegs as "impractical and fragile." There's only so many ways to make a tube bass amp of that size and they have NOT reinveinted the wheel. So what if McCartney plays them? Hofner basses suck, IMO.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

is this "the" John C. Reilly? as in the John Reilly Band?

and while D/13 amps are great, Fred's a real character. a bit up on himself, especially after he's worked with the who's who of LA's session scene. but make no mistake, he can back it up. his amps are pretty kickbutt.

but IMHO, john, if you've got the cash, you should look into an used Aguilar DB359. they come up pretty often in the classifieds here and on ebay. 200 watts of all tube brutally beautiful ampeg on hifi steriods tone. one of my favs in my arsenal.

also, this other UST amp seems nice, but for 75 watts, seems rather impractical. but if all tube tone for recording is your bag, try an Alessandro Basset Hound. its about 60 watts, all handwired by george hisself, and yet comes in a MUCH smaller, more managable, bread box like form factor. also, the standard model retails for about $1699 straight from george's shop.

7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Does spending thousands of dollars on high end gear ensure your recordings will sell millions?
  8. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    This is related, but is more related to bassists. Under Client List, they have "Paul D'Amour (Tool)." I thought Paul used Ashdown amps? Does anyone know?
  9. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    The D/13 looks like a nice piece of gear, and I'll bet it has great tone too.
    As far as his "marketing"-
    I guess I agree that he certainly hasn't broken any new ground, and has no need to contrast his unit's weight and reliability to an SVT or anything else for that matter.

But he's an amp builder, not a marketing expert so what the heck!
    From what I see of his credentials, he doesn't need to market that much, he probably is pretty busy building and modifying gear.
    As for the price, he can charge what he feels is right for a small, hand-made to order unit, and has earned the right to charge for his name attached to his product- like certain luthiers do.
    There are ALWAYS alternatives and choices-
    D/13 seems pretty low profile, and is a niche product for those who want something built for tjhem by Fred.

*$*$&!!! Now I want one. I bet they sound VERY good!
  10. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    well i did some more digging around and it looks like there was an ashdown rig at the super bowl that bass was going through. i believe only the guitars were going through /13 amps .On the subject of svt's, in the shop i used to work in as a floor sweeper/ lunch getter i saw several svt's with repair tags over 400 doallars. i remember one was 800. Almost every part had to be replaced including transformers. One reason i'm not looking for an svt even though i love their tone is that almost every svt has probably been PLAYED hard for most of it's life. Plus svt are fetching close to 1400 on ebay in nice condidtion. another thing i find that the few vintage svt's i've played is that it's fairly easy to overdrive the preamp circuit. the beaut of the b15 is that the preamp stays clean but is more than capapble of clipping the powertubes. that is pure thirdhand info form the net so i'm sure i could be wrong. at a certain point on the volume knob svt's become 100 lb fuzzbox . anyone who builds a tube bass amp is probably going to reference the svt or the b15 because they are so legendary. i like the idea of getting a new amp handmade for me
  11. It's not any amp's fault that it breaks if somebody didn't take care of it. An SVT is no more prone to failure than any other piece of neglected gear, and probably much LESS considering the shape most of them are in and they still run. There would also be no point in replacing every part of SVT that was toasted, as it would cost over $2000 in parts alone. I find that a bit hard to swallow.

I'm not coming out swinging in defense of the SVT as much as I am just plain put-out with that crap of an advertisment and the underlying snob-appeal. I've got a Wizard Bass 500, WAYYYY more pricey and rare than those Divided by 13 amps, and it's cool, but I gig with my SVT, simple as that. (I certainly didn't PAY what it's worth, but that's another story.)There comes a point when gear ceases to be functional and takes on a significance of its own, ESPECIALLY when it's purported to have been used by somebody famous. I'm no idiot and I realize that MOST of the MI high-dollar market is driven by "gear lust," but there's no call to go slagging something else that has proven itself as standard for decades if your product is REALLY that good.
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A friend of mine has been on the waiting list for a FTR 37 for over a year now. I'm not sure when he's even expecting it in.-His biggest concern is road reliability, since he tours 5 months of the year. Another friend was the head guitar tech for the recent Jackson Browne tour, and he HATED Val McCallum's /13. The transformer was held in place by duct tape because Fred told him that it sounded best in that position, and that was the only way to attach it where it was.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    again, fred did well with the session crowd. i'm sure while in concert it was mostly ashdown stuff, and in the studio, he prolly used a D/13 for a few tracks.
  14. There's a little:
    There's no asterisk by D'Amour's name.

So he just may have used him as a repair guy.