1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Dec 2, 2017.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Arthur U. Poon, Toptube and trothwell like this.
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I didn’t know these were back. I always liked SR2000s. I’ll have to pick up a set.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Since Dean Markley doesn't have a string factory, do you know who is doing the winding for them?

4. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Oct 31, 2013
    I recently tried a set of Helix in 40-100 which is lighter than I would usually go for. I also dislike roundwounds but need them for a new project. Ive been very happy and very impressed by them

5. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I would imagine that lends itself to a smooth feel as well? Smoother than Rotosound 66?

6. DistortedBass

DistortedBass Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    I've was with these for 15 years and never strayed. They did get really hard to find and DM looked shaky so I started looking around. Never found anything that had quite the same flavor. I hope they are sticking around, I miss them!

7. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Huh, I feel like I have always been able to get Dean Markley off the shelf at a guitar center. Which I cannot say for some of the other brands I've been using, more recently.

I miss the helix line. The Stainless had huge and complex tone. The nickels sounded real similar to Dunlop Super Brights!

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    No. I don't really like tapered strings. that was my one complaint with the Helix, that some of the strings are tapered and they were notably more floppy.

On some bridges, tapered strings can be fine. But on others, the saddles end up comically high. and there is still the question of them being more floppy. Also, some people end up with a warble from the bridge pickup, if the taper is too long.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021