1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

.135 Dunlop Super Bright

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Oct 10, 2016.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Hello all! So, I've tried many different strings over my years and all have their strong points and weak points. The last few years I've been gigging with Elixirs. I gig with two 5 string jazz basses. One is tuned standard and one is tuned a half step down. I've pretty much always ran 135-105-80-60-45 strings on both basses. I read a ton of good things about super brights and decided to give them a run. I've had both basses strung with them for about a month now and I can honestly say I'm impressed. The have a great tone and feel to them and they still sound great after a month of sweaty gigs (I gig pretty much every Friday and Saturday night - three 45 minute sets). My issue with them is the Low B string. I always run .135's but these only come in .130. Also, they seem to be lower tension strings than most. Being .130 and somewhat lower tension makes my B string very tough to use on my standard bass and pretty much useless on my Eb bass. Anyone else have this issue? Am I crazy? Can anyone recommend a single .135 or even .140, .145 whatever B string that will pair up nicely with the super brights? Or maybe we can write dunlop a letter requesting a more user friendly B? HELP!

2. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Shew, nobody? Guess I should have said Sire and Squier basses are 10x better than an American Fender! Lol

3. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Are you using Super Bright nickels or stainless steel?

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    You might contact bassstringsonline.com. He's pretty known for matching strings in a mixed set.

SirMjac28 and MoeTown1986 like this.
  5. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Nickels

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 Jason could definitely help and send @mmbongo a PM he knows a lot about the Super Brights he turned me on to these strings and I love them.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did I hear my name??? :)

Yes I love that SuperBright .130, it's definitely the best B in the SuperBright lineup. That being said, I also used .135's before and would be the first in line to get a .135 SuperBright nickel. But while I have much love for the .130 I can see how it wouldn't be ideal on some basses and especially not if tuning it down.

Jason at www.bassstringsonline.com is definitely the source if you want to try some single B strings in .135 or above. I'd suggest Fodera strings for sure, as I used them before SuperBrights. D'addario XL B strings are also actually very good and available in lots of gauges.

exidor and MoeTown1986 like this.
  8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    > 135-105-80-60-45

An equal tension B (if wanted) would be .140 or .145.

MoeTown1986 likes this.