Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$14,000 for an amp?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Apr 26, 2001.

1. The London Power Spectrum amplifier is now selling for the following prices:

SPECTRUM 700W model - US & Intl. $13,089 US
    SPECTRUM 700W-3D model - US & Intl. $13,830 US

Am i just imagining this, or did this amp recently (in the last six months) sell for around $4,000.00?

Honestly, who is going to pay $14,000 for an amplifier? I mean, I would love to have one, but for that price I could buy a new car.

Check it out at www.londonpower.com

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Matthew - If that gets you off, try an Alessandro Bassett Hound with a solid gold chassis - $50,000 for just a 60W head. www.alessandro-products.com/amps.html

Either way, they should throw in a Rottweiler to chain to it.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dagnabbit Rickb~1. Ya' beat me to it ;). I was gonna'
    say a fully "optionized" Basset Hound would run
    $55,600 :eek: . That's WITH the solid, 24 Karat gold chassis :p .

(here)

4. Yeah I've seen the gold Allesandro's before, but I think that price tag is justified considering the materials. But 14,000 for a regular amp?..

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Matthew - That's a good point about "regular amp." They really are more "down to business." Still, if I had an LP Spectrum, I don't think I could leave the stage at breaks.

As for the Alessandro Bassett Hound, at about $927 per watt, I don't think it would leave my house, (what fun is that?) Have you ever put a jack into one of those puppies?

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...sounds interesting! I guess I never really thought that Glockenklang would be considered cheap!:eek:

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For all you guys out there with wives or girlfriends who don't approve of you spending 2-3k on equipment just show them the LondonPower or Allesandro amps and all of a sudden 2-3k won't seem like that much.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmmm...that might backfire, though..."Well, honey,
    the Hope Diamond IS priceless. But really, all I want
    is this $6,000 tennis bracelet." (plus this classic)...
    "You'd get it for me if you love me, tee-HEE. You DO
    love me don't you?" (and let's not forget)..."Does
    this [article of clothing] make me look fat?" :p .

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Alessandro is a great amp, well worth the cost of admission, I don't know how I ever played or recorded before without it. My Polytone is officially retired. Sweet amp.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just Kidding;)

For $55.6K I'd just wire AC to a couple of my friends and make them bark my basslines:eek:

That ought to keep them in beer for quite a while.

11. that is the most absolutely ridiculous thing i have ever seen, no wonder i haven't heard of these amps.

to make it worse i am canadian so the price is way more!!

do they even sound like they are worth that much money??

if i owned one i would feel like the worst bass player in the world, how can you compare too that!!

insane absolutely insane!!!

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

"LondonPower" is London, Ontario ain't it?
    They reviewed one in the Jan `00 BP (the "100 years of
    Bass" issue). They tried it with an EA VL-210, Acme Low
    B-2, and Flite 210MBH..."a new reference for clarity,
    detail, and...focus" ~ It worked well with a fiver and was
    able to cut through a 17-piece band. An URB with an
    Underwood pup had good clarity and detail. When compared
    to a vintage B-15, it had "more headroom and volume,
    a sweeter top and a more focused midrange."
    Still...I love the last line from the review, "Why do people
    buy Ferraris? Because they can." :p

13. FWIW, they also make a 100 watt version that is considerably less.

SPECTRUM 100W model - US & Intl. $2,580 US
    SPECTRUM 100W-3D model - US & Intl. $2,952 US

Given the London Power reputation, I imagine it can probably stand up to most 1000+ watt rack setups.

14. yeah London power is in ontario. about the canadian dollar thing i was refering to the american price quotes.

i never heard of them and i live 30 mins from london.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Matthew ~

A 100-watt amp "standing up to" a 1,000 watt rack setup? I'm not sure what this means, but remember, they're still going to have either Chinese or Soviet tubes in 'em.

16. Like I said, given the London Power reputation...

But your preference towards towards ss amps is noted.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ponder this: if you'd have a bassist ladyfriend
    and she would ask you "Honey, does this amp make me sound fat?", what would be the right answer for that? :cool:

18. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    LOL :) OMG this one is sooo funny. I keep smiling everytime I think about it.

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know you'll all think I'm crazy for saying this, but I can understand the high prices. It's simple: There are people out there who like to have the absolute best sounding equipment out there.

An example is a story I heard once when shopping at a store called Audio Consultants in the Chicago area. There, you can routinely find stereo speakers that cost upwards of $10,000 EACH! Anyway, the sales consultant was telling me a story about a customer who spent a couple hundred grand on his stereo. It included an 18 inch servo subwoofer. Now, that's power!

Anyway, he built his house around the stereo, with a specially designed room, engineered to maximize the way sound was reflected off each wall, and so forth.

There were two problems with this, however: his wife left him because he was too obsessed with sound. And, the first time he actually cranked his stereo, the foundation in his home cracked!:eek:

But, that's not to say he's the first or the last to be THAT much into sound quality! After all, by most people's standards, we are almost as crazy!;)

20. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    why on earth would you need a solid gold chassis. gold bends and breaks so easy.