14-Year Old Daughter wants to play

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soniebug, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Soniebug

Aug 17, 2004
    My 14-year old daughter has decided she wants to play a 4-string bass guitars. What do you recommend for a first guitar that is not too expensive in case she changes her mind. I saw a "Laurel" brand for $80 on e-bay and also a Silvertone for $150. Both come with an amp, case, etc.

Thanks for any help
  2. those sound fine if you are not sure if she is planning to stick with it...otherwise you can always rent. if you want a better bass for $120, i'd look at rondomusic.com, and look at the jazz bass...heck look at a p-bass. its pretty good quality for its price.

3. If I were a 14 year old girl wannabe bass player:
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

The rondo stuff is good...
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually those Daisy Rock things arent half bad.

But best bet would be www.rondomusic.com

or a cheap Yamaha.
  6. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    14 year old female? You should take her to guitar center or a locl music shop and see if she can play the bass. Not like play a tune....But see if she can wrap he fingers around the neck and hold fretts. Her hands may be to small.

If this is the case then you might need to spend a little more on a shortscale bass. (More for less? The irony) Some populars I see are the bronco bass by squier and some gretchs.(Spelling?)

If her hands are big enough, you cant go wrong with rondo. Make sure you get her a bass made with a light wood though...Id think you would want her to enjoy not spend all the time holding it up.

One last question lol, what got her into bass?
  7. Soniebug

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks for the help. Checked out the Daisy site - little too young for my daughter. She really wants to play and I want to make sure that her instrument is good enough that she won't get frustrated. The peavey does look good and so does the rondo, also looking at a fender and silvertone.
  8. Soniebug

Aug 17, 2004
    Oh sorry, btw, She got into bass because she loves the sound of it and it is different from what most people do. She also plays violin so hopefully, she will pick this up pretty quickly. She is already studying - you never know . . .
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Silvertone isnt up to par with the rondomusic basses. I dont have experience with peavey, but the Fender basses under the name 'Squier' arent great either.
  10. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hmm, plays violin? In that case buy her a good instrument. Some tips are that most basses on Ebay are crap man. Seriously, they are better served as paperweights or wall decor in my opinion. Squier basses by Fender are good for starting, but quickly outgrown. And their quality is hit or miss. Believe me, It was my first bass and If I knew then what I know now I woul dhave never bought one. Rondomusic makes great quality basses for the price. Most people compare thier quality and craftsmanship to that of a Made in Mexico Fender. I bought a Jazz from them that I absolutely love to death. Swamp ash body, Block inlays, Maple frettboard. Usally their only lack is the pickups which can be easily replaced if you chosse to do so.

So basiclly every response you get here is going to be try rondomusic because they have the best bang for the buck. I highly recomend a MIM Fender if you can spring it for her. Just not a squier...they are not very good for the money.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt say the pickups lack. SX pickups sound really nice and people here have switched them out to Fender pickups and there was no noticeable difference.
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I would avoid the Rondo basses. You see a lot of people at this site recommending Rondo and the Essex brand that they sell and I think it's all because of the very low prices. My opinion is that the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies here. I've purchased two Essex basses from Rondo and the quality control is very hit and miss. One is a great little player (my daughters short scale) and one is an absolute dog (my "photo flame" P clone) I don't know if the problem has been rectified, but some time ago most people purchasing any Essex bass with a Rosewood fret board found that the frets edges would need filed down (due to shrinking of the wood) and I've found through personal experience that not all come out of the box set up playable. If you were to buy an Essex bass and had to take it to a local luthier or guitar tech for fret work and set up, you'd easily have as much money invested as you would in buying a more reputable brand from a local merchant. The feel of a bass guitar in the players hands is one of the most important factors in the decision of which bass to buy. I believe that with starter basses and used basses, even used starter basses everywhere your best bet is to always shop locally and play it before you buy it.
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've heard people here at TB make this claim, but I disagree. The Essex basses are more on par with a Squier by Fender, not the MIM Fenders. The Essex reputation here at TB is grossly inflated. Don't get me wrong, Kurt at Rondo has excelent customer relations and offers products at a very inexpensive price point - but the quality is not what people here at TB want to build it up to be.

To the thread starter - If you are considering Fender basses (probably made in Mexico fender's) then do not take a big step back in quality by buying one of the Essex/Brice/Douglas brands offered at Rondo.
  14. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My daughter is 14 and is playing bass too. Weird thing is she started out playing violin just like your daughter.

Weight can be an issue for small females (small anyone for that matter) so have her try some on at Guitar Center. She doesn't need to play anything just see how they feel. See if the neck is comfortable and that she can get her hand around it.

We ended up with an Ibanez GSR200. It has worked well and she still uses it. She has a Fender Jazz now and it feels heavy compared to her Ibanez.
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    +1 for the Ibanez. +1 also for any of the budget "EXP" Peaveys.

Bass guitars are heavier than they look; I remember the first time picking up a Fender Jazz bass and being unpleasantly surprised by the weight.
  16. yes, i bought some SX pickups here, and replaced my mim fender with them...it actually improved the sound imo...

17. Well, since she already has musical experience, I'd get her a MIM Fender, if you have the money, or a Peavey like someone else said. I wouldn't get her a starter bass cause one, like I mentioned, she already has experience in music, and two, like you said, she's learning about the instrument even before she even has one.

The reason why I say avoid starter instruments is cause after a few months of playing, you'd feel the need to upgrade, and then you just wasted 200 bucks on an instrument you're tired of.

I think the best idea is to take your daughter out to Guitar Center or any music store and have her pick out one she likes. If she's researching, odds are, she has a bass that she has in mind.

Also what's in your budget? That could helps out a bunch.
  18. FWIW, my 14-year-old sister wanted to start playing bass maybe 9 months ago. She started playing her school's loaner MIM Jazz Bass. Not a bad bass, but she has really small hands and she was having trouble learning on it. I bought her a Rondo Music Essex short-scale P-Bass copy. For $100, the quality blew me away. The weakest part was/is the pickup, which was noticably quieter for the E-string. However, all that aside, she's becoming a much better player now that she has something her hands can manage. Furthermore, she can also play a 34"-scale bass with much more comfort now that she's a bit more adjusted to the bass. She needs to pratice more, but don't we all? She's getting better as a player and eventually will get a nicer bass that, even as it'll probably be a 34"-scale bass, she'll be able to handle. Just needed something for her to start up on, I guess. The short-scale REALLY helped her.
  19. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Find out what you want and buy used. You'll get twice for the price of new and you can get a better bass for the same price.
  20. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    If you can find one used, a Dean Edge series, the bass wood body is lighter then most, the neck is very slim, good FB profile, and its a great bass anyways.

Hell, my Dean is still my main bass.....just about ready to switch out to bart's though