1400w...Too Much? 300w Too Little???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Yo Yo Y'all

Im Fancying buying a 'High Powered' Beringer amp...either a 300w Head or A Bass V-Amp Pro With a Europower EP1500 (700w per channel or 1400w Bridged)......

Just curious would 1400w be 'Too Much Power' or Would 300w be 'Too Little Power' for Small to Medium Sized Venues.....ill buying either an ashdown MAG 4x10 to go with the 300w head...or Try to get an Avatar 4x10 imported to go with the 1400w rig......either way i go..the price will be roughly the same - $2000aus.....

Cheers Heath
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Heath, IMO there's no such things as "too much power" when it comes to playing the bass. Generally speaking, I usually dial up about 200-300 watts for small indoor venues, maybe 5 or 600 for medium sized indoor gigs (like auditoriums and such), and 1200 watts for outdoors (with 2100 watts extra for the subs, if they're needed). I'm talking about solid state watts with plenty of clean headroom, that's my sound and style. I tend to stay away from excessive grunge and distortion (for instance, I don't like Ampeg amps in general, 'cause they don't have much clean headroom). I don't mind playing through SVT's and Acoustic 370's and the like, once in a while, but wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis (IMO, that sound gets a little boring after a while, and it's relatively harder to dial up a clean precise sound on those amps). If you like the tube amp sound, you probably don't need as much power, an SVT is around 300 honest tube watts and it's plenty loud.
  3. bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I use a EP1500 with my ampeg SVP-Pro Preamp. I run it in bridged mono for the full bang, 1400 watts @ 4 ohm. I previously used an Ampeg B2r (350w @ 4 ohm). For gigs I normally use an Eden 210XLT and 115XLT. This setup is rated for 750 RMS. The additional headroom is what I like. It seems I alwayl had the B2R set to 10 and there was nothing left. Sort of like using a compressor I guess. With the extra power the bass sounds better. I'm not really playing louder. I can adjust the intensity with my fingers and it is heard. Love it. I hope this helps.
  4. All things being equal go for the 1400 watts. That translates into about 12db more headroom. However, for many years (more than I care to admit) I used a Hartke 4.5XL with a 250watt (into 8 ohms) amp. I never needed anymore.
  5. well lately ive just been using a peavey mark 3 (150w into 4 ohm) and ive just been running it through the one 15"cab...which is ok..but at the volumes i need to play at its gets a little distorted......also i have a behringer thunderbird 15w prac amp..which i LOVE!!!...

but if i get the 1400w rig, It'll be a great bloody hassle to get one or two avatar 4x10" cabs...not to mention postage rates! i guess that it'll be about $200 - $300us just for postage!

but what i think will be easier for me would be to get the 300w head and one or two ashdown MAG series Cabs...

Oh well...6 months to decide :p
  6. well, 300 Watt amps can be enough, if they comprise REAL 300 watts. The Behringer BX3000T has that and very nice extras. But there are a lot of amps out there which are underpowered, i.e. Hartke 3500, SWR, Ashdown.

I am playing that Behringer either with 1 or 2 Euphonic Audio CXL112s or an Avatar 2x12 (4ohm) and that setup is LOUD as hell and sounds superb.

7. Playing with a kilowatt of power or more is like driving a 300hp car around town. You breathe on the gas, and it just takes off effortlessly. You can take advantage of dynamics in ways that just aren't possible with "adequate" power.

I went over time from 120 watts, to 450 watts, to 1800 watts... I've finally got the amount of power that feels right. with my 2 5 strings, even 450 watts was not enough for a clean low B at high volume. I'm using about 900 watts of my QSC RMX 1850HD and the amp doesn't even begin to get hot or clip now.

8. Don't forget, heath, that with a 1400watt amp you'll hardly ever actually be using that, even on full pre, post and power volumes. Having that extra headroom will change your playing, you won't need everything on full 100% and *still* not get a good sound.

I went down the 300watt road and get a good sound for small gigs and rehersals, but playing slap at a gig with no headroom at all is horrible.
  9. Although I would agree in the case of SWR being underpowered, because i have owned both an SM500 and SM900, I would entirely disagree in the case of Ashdown. My ABM 500 EVO II blew the pants off my SM900 bridged mono at the same ohm load. It is my understanding that Ashdown consevatively rates their amps at a true musical level without distortion.

Heath, I used to use that exact same Peavey rig and i know what you are talking about. Mine would fart out on me real bad at high volumes. As far as power needs go I have found that with todays cabinet designs, 300 watts is about the minimum you can get buy with and have a fair amount of headroom. I would go for 500-600 watts. if your options are limited to the 300 or 1400, then I would go for the big power. If you play anything other than a four string, I would probably not get the MAG410 its low freq. response is only 60Hz.
  10. ok..after taking the day off work ive discovered my dream amp...not behringer (nowhere near) but ashdown..i was totally blown away today....and over 6 months piece by piece this will be mine...aha ha ha ha (evil laugh?)

ABM 300 EVO II
    MAG 4x10T DEEP
    MAG 115 DEEP

about $4500aus total

the only thing is that the 115 is not as deep as the 4x10 so the 4x10 will be under and the 115 on top...which sounds sweet as anyway

i swear i was drooling the moment i plugged in....
    bye bye behringer