1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$14k ........gone!!! :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kulit17, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

TB bro's and sis's. Just dropped $14k to get closer to acquiring a house and boy does it hurt!!!! Albeit about $3.7k was suppose to go towards my dream bass, thus changing coz of underwriters, but mannnnnn?!!!!!!

(someone buy my bass in classifieds so I can get my bass!!!!!)

Oh well when I add my "bass/jam room" it'll all be worth it!!!!

Just wanted to vent and say how much it hurts to drop that kind of liquid funds at the same time.

****first time home buyer anxiety is all****
    It's gonna be great I know! This is a good investment and being a two family house, an even better on.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just think, you really didn't waste it.

Best of luck, congrats on the home.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It wouldnt hurt me to drop $20k if it were going towards an awesome house. Id be happy to part with the money.

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'd rather drop it immediately, than drop 180% of it over two decades ;)

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Are you a first time homebuyer? Our state has programs where you can put down next to nothing on your first home. 14k seems a little steep in this market when banks are hurting for loans.

6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    You have the $$ to buy a house.

Poor you.

:spit:

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    You should have given those funds to me.
    Cruel, cruel, cruel...thoughtlessly cruel...:atoz:

8. kulit17

Ya doing 3% which shouldve been $10k, the other 4k was because of underwriters scrutinizing the application. So had to lower the debt ratio thus pay off other debts i.e. school loan

Ya it's all good.... Just being a first time homebuyer, I've never dropped money like this before in my life at the same time so it does feel weird.

Thanks guys!

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Our house purchase a a little over a year ago included writing a check for over $100k. Thankfully, equity from the condo we had just sold covered most of it.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Wow, only $14,000? How much is the house? I put down $17,000 on a 200k house 7 years ago and unfortunately lost it in a divorce. At this point I'm not sure what I should be looking at for a down payment in the future for a 200-220k home in the next 5 years.

A lot can change in that time but it's nice to have a number to shoot for in savings.

I think I'd be eligible for a first time buyer program by then. I think you have to have not had a mortgage on your credit for about 3 years.

I agree with the sentiment that I'd rather be dropping the money on a house rather than an instrument. I hated having to move to an apartment.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't look at it like you're buying something perishable, because you aren't. Home buying is an investment that will definitely pay off in the long run :) </most of my family works in real estate>

12. kulit17

Nowadays minimum you need to put down is 3%. Depending on your state and town, there are programs that assist you to either negate PMI or pay it for you. FHA has a website that has all that info and also provides classes which are also mandatory if you plan on getting these type of assistances.

This statement I do believe is correct.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    No pics, no house.
    14 is good. What's the footprint if you don't mind?
    And it's not gone, it's 14 in.

14. kulit17

Lol my bad here's a pic I had in my phone.

Attached Files:

15. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    No house is ever a good investment until you go to sell it and actually SEE a real profit. Meanwhile, you're pissing away money while you pay the mortgage, property tax, interest and insurance. Most people barely make back the interest they paid over 10 years. You do get some tax benefits that help financially but still.... If you live in a house for 8 years, pay 34k in prop taxes, 18k in insurance and 60k in interest on a standard 30yr fixed loan only to sell it for 40k more than what you paid for it, how's that an investment? I didn't even factor home improvement costs.

16. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes. And in the market of the past 3-4 years, you wouldn't even make back what you paid. As an investment tool it's almost as bad as 401K plans.

edit: that all said, I agree with mohawk below me about it beating renting, as it obviously does.

17. Still beats renting!

OP, that's a nice house! I hope housing over here drops a bit more, but atm it's generally about a 10% deposit you need and housing is just stupidly expensive.

18. niels125

niels125

Aug 11, 2011
    Damn houses are HUGE in the US compared to Europe :D

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Oh, is that all? I thought this was gonna be one of those "My 401k just tanked!" threads.

When my wife & I bought our first apartment I had to take $15,000 out of my own personal one-day-I-will-get-an-Alembic savings. Ouch. Talk about butthurt. Pretty sure I will now never get an Alembic.

...but I've got real estate! I've got equity! In the time it took between our placing the downpayment and all the closing shenanigans, our apartment increased in value $75,000! (Of course, this was several years before the economy turned to poo; "past performance does not guarantee future results")

U done good. Relax and enjoy the security of being a homeowner.

20. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Don't listen to the "You should never buy a house" crowd. If you look at buying a house for the ATM card that they were used for during 2003-2006, well, no sympathy to you and it won't happen. If you look to make a wise long term investment in a home that you can enjoy, which many of us have done quite happily, congrats.

I might even know some real idiots that own 10 homes/condos, rent em to well screened folks and make $10K+ per month above the mortgages doing nothing but collecting checks and the occasional repair. How stupid, right?

Enjoy your home.