Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15-10-tweeter cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Hi!

Brian Gordon here. I just found this forum and plan to be hanging around quite a lot.

My question is about speaker cabinets containing a 15", a 10" and a tweeter. I have an old Ampeg cabinet with this configuration and it is the only one like it I've ever come across. I'd realy like to get another one. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make a cab like this? If you know where I can find a duplicate Ampeg 15-10, I'd be very grateful if you let me know.

I really like the full range sound my Ampeg cab gives out. Stacked on top of an 8x10, it is awesome! What I want to do is have a duplicate stack with another 8x10 and another Ampeg 15-10 on top of it. I know. You think I'm insane. That's OK. I can deal with that. Just help me find a match for my Ampeg or suggest an alternative so I can get a pair of them.

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
  3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey Brian the only thing i thought was a little bit weird was stacking the 10-15-tw on top of the 8X10 if anything i thought u'd have it next to, i'm not that accustomed to stack/head/rack rigs. Like KB said a SWR Triad they should be fairly affordable if you find one used. that's all good luck

4. The reason I have the 15-10 on top of the 8x10 is because then it is right at head level. I run each speaker cab with its own power amp so I have individual control over the two. Basically, the 15-10 blasts me in the head and acts as a personal monitor. It also is powered by an Ampeg power amp with a presence control. So I kick up the highs a bit in that cab and the 8x10 provides the deeper bass. It sounds fabulous.

Yeah, the SWRs would be good. I'd just _have_ to dump the Ampegs and get SWR's 8x10s too so everything matched! That would be sweet!

5. I think that Ampeg still makes combo amp that has a configuration that is close to what you're describing (one 15, one 8, and possibly a tweeter). I don't know if they make it in a separate, cab only design.

Woofy out!

6. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    EBS makes a 10" + 15" + tweeter (model 311). Call Bass Northwest, they carry them.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Every time I play through an SWR Triad, I'm tempted to buy it. Excellent tone. I just have too many speaker cabinets to come up with a rationale for mamacita.

8. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Yup...

SWR Triad
    EBS 311

to my knowledge these are the only ones available.

and yes... you must be kinda crazy :eek:

9. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    look in the for sale forum.....

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    eden also made one of these for a short time you might find one used
    i love the way that config sounds but i have seen a lot of them with the 15 blown - they also aren't so loud/cutting in a full band setup
    the bergantino ht322 (1 12, 2 10s and a tweeter) really seems to take the swr triad sound to a new level - i'm very impressed with that cab
    if ya wanna get really freaky bag and makes a cab called the af-1 (1 18, 1 12 and a horn) now that cab sounds huge

11. Many companies make/have made cabs with multiple drivers. Here's a few that I know of-

Peavey 1516 (15-2x8's), 1820 (18-2x10's), 1810 (same as the 20 but redesigned for better sound)

Mesa made a few- One with 4x10's and a 15 and another with 4x8's and a 12 (don't know what they're called)

Of course there's the Ampegs and SWRs that have been mentioned already. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the El Whappo by Accugroove. I think he might dig a few of those!!!:bassist:

12. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The Music Man 212 cabs have two 12's + a 6.

13. Accugroove El Whappo: 15", 12", 6" and two tweeters.

Geoff

14. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    this guy reminds me of me.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ditto. I started designing a stand alone 4 ohm cab, initially with a 15, 10 and horn. I later changed that to a 12, 2x10's and horn. Then realised that I don't really need a 6th cab.... defining moment - I've halted the steady decline gear insanity......... for now anyway.

16. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy

Sep 16, 2002
    Luton in UK
  17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  18. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    mauahahah! :D :D :D

yup, it can sound pretty damn nice but I'd think twice before using it in public.

..Unless of course I was asking or needing stewpid comments from ppl :rolleyes:

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Brian,

Last time I was at Midwest Buy and Sell on Irving Park Rd., just west of Austin, they had at least one of those. The one that I remember was in sad shape...the 10 was gone as was the Tolex.

It's worth a try though...

20. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    like... why bother digging up a 3 year old post? :p