Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15-18 year olds in my area dont seem to care about technical aspects

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aabassist, Jan 2, 2003.

1. I live in england and i've noticed that none of my friends who call themselves "musicians" seem to care atall about technical issues. They dont care as long as they look cool. It's also the same when it comes to buying equipment, for example the guitarist in my band bought a 100 watt head and when he bought the cab didn't check if it was rated at 4 ohms or 8ohms, and now he wants to add another cab to his stack and won't listen when i tell him to check the impedance first. he says it doesn't matter about the impedance, and we all know thats not true.

I've also noticed round here that people are rated by the amount of songs they can play, for example if someone could play every nirvana song and every blink 182 song people consider them amazing.

Is it like this all over the country, it seems to me that the americans care a lot more about their instruments and other equipment than the people i know. They are however aged from 15-18 and took up an instrument to get chicks, to me thats not what its all about.

2. Hate to break it to you, but it's the same way over here, although it's probably worse in Britain--and young Brits' reluctance to be labeled "musos" and their inherent laziness (AFAIK, the notion of "paying one's dues" by getting in a foul-smelling van and playing godawful dive bars in towns across the country is somewhat alien to contemporary British sensibilities) is probably why very few British bands have had any chart impact in the US in the past decade.

Now, in the States, older musicians probably care too much about equipment--reading Harmony Central reviews written by 45-year-old accountants with 50 guitars and zero talent is always a hoot--but I think that's less of a sin than total, willful ignorance.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, quit your bitchin! Those guys are every were. no need to whine about it.

4. They're TEENAGERS!!!!!

They're not supposed to know anything! They're just supposed to look good!

And booooooy, do I do a good job at it! :D

5. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Hey, I'm only 43 and I have 51 guitars thank you very much!~ :D

6. i wish someone told me tihs sooner...

7. It's kinda like that up here too (Edinburgh) but as soon as you look at who is really serious about their music, they've at least got some knowledge of theory and the like.

Hell, two of the best bands around here are off my music course at college.

Basically, I think you shouldn't worry about it, and just look out for those who know what they're doing. Ignorant people are everywhere.

8. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    It's like that in Canada too, well at least where I'm from. Every "punk" or "skater" has a guitar now, they learn a Rancid song and few Blink 182 covers and they think they're amazing. And they have people telling them there amazing too! I find that in my grade (10, I'm 15 if it matters), in my school, they're are maybe 6 people who play bass, drums or guitar that are serious about getting better and actually learning about music. It makes me kind of sad to think that these people may be the future of music.

P.S. I have nothing against "punks" or "skaters", its just some of them get on my nerves

9. whatever. let 'em learn from their mistakes.

10. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    California

Im a teenager and I know stuff...(bass stuff)

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    i can play every blink and korn song cuz i practised hard n got bettter with time and practise so i am good. i practise a lot by playing to recorfds and trying to sound liek fieldy and shakira and other good players or peeps. so if i try hard and keep practiscing i think i am allowed to brag or boast. besides the impedance doesnt relly matter cuz if the head is strong than it will sound good

12. yeah, well, i can read tabs, man, and i know wicked good punk tab sites man. yeah.

13. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    so THAT's what ive been doing wrong..

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You should be glad they're neglectful. It will give you an edge over them when you compete for better gigs.

Let them wallow, I say. It's not your time or money they're squandering.

15. I am 18 and techincal things do mean quite a bit to me. Not as much when it comes to gear because I cant afford much but when it comes to playing/song writing I do try to do well. But most people I know are the same kornish like bassing. I don't care though, we all have our own ways in life

16. well, I'm 17, so this puts me in the catagory you all are discussing.

First off, I'd like to say, I'm not normal.
    <i> ex. I picked bass instead of drums or guitar.
    I opted for music equipment instead of a car
    I enjoy more types of music other than rock...like jazz, classical, funk, punk, etc.
    I also despise new "rock" "music", and I love the classics. </i>

Second, I'm commited to becoming the best person i can be. Learning as much as I can, and helping people the best I can. 'cept for learning theory ;)! well...possibly.

I'm also starting to learn Double bass too. From a highschool of around 4,000, there are 3 or 4 DB players. That includes me and I'm not in Orchestra.

Hmmm...that's about it for my ranting so far.

17. I agree. If your guitarist won't listen to you, let him ruin his gear. That gives you the opportunity to bust out the baby powder and pimp slap the crap out of him.

18. worry about yourself and how your playing is coming along not anybody elses:rolleyes:

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hey I'm 17 too, and I do almost everything you do except I started DB a few years ago and I'm doing my best to learn as much theory as I can. And I don't care about genres in music, whatever grooves...have you heard justin timberlake? there is some good stuff there I don't care what you say, the production quality in pop music is going up on a rocketship its really impressing.
    oh and my High school has about 80 people and there are only 2 DB players, and we both suck ;)

but let me ask you this....has your bass fetish ever gotten in the way of your love life? Have you ever turned down sex to play bass? once you have done that, then you are truly not normal by normal standards....or how about while making out with a girl you start realizing a song and then abruptly stop so that you can start writing it down?

yeah I know I'm twisted but for me its bass first, life later.

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know I'm always interested in what my Guitarist friend is coming up with, he's always experementing with theory and composing. We recently came up with an idea to create a diatonic type musical scale out of vowel sounds by relating the relative angles of the mouth and general pitches produced with the different vowels sounds A-E-I-O-U (and sometimes Y :D )
    he's always trying to make connections between life and music, math and music, classical music and jazz, guitar and ping pong...whatever he can. He's quite a brilliant guy, and I'm always trying my best to see how he's doing and help him with ear training and theory practice as much as I can. Same goes with a Drummer friend of mine, I'm concerned that he is going to stifle his immense talent if he doesn't break out of 3/4, 4/4 and 6/8 rhythmns. I want him to experement with 5/4 or 10/8 or 12/2 or whatever, and with more than funk-fusion and rock beats. I'm concerned with his progress because I want him to be the best he can, because if people are born to play certain instruments(not something I believe but IF) then he was born to play drums.

</rant>

or were you being facetious?