1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15-20% humidity sways on solid bodies

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I've got two basses and an electric guitar - all solid bodies. In the room where I store them, the temperature is between 20 and 25 C (68 to 77 F) and humidity may change between 35 and 50 or even 55% over one day. Should I be concerned with such sways?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Probably not a big deal but one thing you can do is during storage keep them inside their gig bag or hard case it helps slow down the drastic changes rather than sitting them out.

Amano and Jisch like this.
  3. that range is just about perfect actually, you don't want the humidity going below 35% & you don't want the temperature getting below or above what's comfortable for humans
    77F is kind of high, but would be welcome if you were outdoors in the Summer

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I played on an outdoor stage last night where the humidity was around 95%. They go from that to air conditioned clubs so they fluctuate quite a bit and stay stable. The area you are talking about under those conditions would be about ideal for the instruments. Leave them in cases as already mentioned and it will stabilize them even further by slowing the transients in humidity or temprature

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    There's a reason there's a finish on basses and, more importantly, The neck. An unfinished neck can become a piece of firewood real fast even in the environment you described. Therefore, I would be more concerned with the finish than the environment. IME/O of course.