1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15/6 & ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Mar 22, 2013.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I've got an LDS 15/6 and I'm in love. No tweet and 4 ohms currently powered by an Eden WT 405. Of course I'm already looking for away to make this more wonderfuller. The lows are beautifully deep and tight but I'd like to hear some more punch.
    What, if any, cab do you sit on top of yours? I was looking at a 2 x 8, I emailed Don and he recommended a single 15 w\ the Eminence HO. I am very interested in hearing what others have used.

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    A matching 15/6 jumps to mind. Or a single 15 using the same driver as in your 15/6.

15" HO? Do you mean 3012HO?

3. Either a mirrored cab like the one you have, or a cab loaded with the same woofer, port tuning, and LPF.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Isn't adding another cab of the same design going to just increase volume?

If you want punch I'd boost 125 -150hz, thats what I do with my fEARful 15/6 and it punches harder than Tyson in his prime.

5. +1, just have to remember the OP's cab is using a different woofer/crossover/mid(?).

6. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    That is my feeling too about another 15.

7. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Disengage "Enhance" and try "Dynamic boost" or fiddling with the EQ. The bass EQ point is really low, though, and the mid is a little high, so you may not be able to boost that "punchy" zone. In that case, lower all EQ knobs a little and see if that gets you there, it may leave the low-mids up a little.

IMO, the cab can give it, just needs some good EQ. If you can't get there with the built-in EQ of the Eden, maybe an EQ pedal or a different head?

I don't think mixing cabs with different drivers is really gonna help a lot, could introduce more problems than it solves.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I bought this eq pedal a month ago and really like what it does with my 15/6 and mb800.

I usually nudge up the 150hz to +3db & give a slight cut to the 40hz. Depending on my mood I might mess with the 80hz as well. All great hz points for bass guitar IMO.

MEQ-2-web.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Also parametric is really nice for dialing in special frequencies that might fit your definition of punch. A pedal is good so you can turn it on and off when you want. Punch can have more flavor when used in the right songs.

Adding another cab of the same will give you more of everything.

10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    See, this is why I love you guys.:)
    The EQ is bare bones on the Eden other than a 550hz 2.2khz switch on the mids. I habitually run things pretty flat so I'll mess with that for starts. Parametrics can make me dizzy but the graphic EQ may be a cool inexpensive solution. At 4 ohms I haven't lacked for volume yet.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I'm too picky to be limited to what most amps offer in terms of eq. These days I always use my pedal board with 2 eq pedals, HPF and tuner.

12. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Would you happen to know what drivers you currently have in your cab? Any details about the crossover? Odds are a mirror image of the same thing would be the ticket if you are enjoying the cab :)

13. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Ok from the FS thread we have..

'Eminence KappaLite 3015LF 15" speaker w/18 sound 6nd410 6.5" mid
    Crossover at 1200HZ (per Don Oatman's recommendation)
    Approx. 30"H x 20"W x 16"D (i.e., the "tall" LDS model)

I swapped the speakers when I found a Kappalite 3015LF 4 ohm so it's getting 400W from my Eden.

I briefly tried the suggested across the board EQ cut and ended up with just the Bass and Treble notched back and the Mid flat. I have also dialed out the Enhance. This could be good, it's so easy to overlook the obvious.
    More road testing tomorrow while the family is away!

PS- what is the 'HO' version of this driver Don spoke of?

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    If Don was talking about a 15" woofer, he probably meant the Eminence Kappalite 3015 (non-LF), which isn't officially designated "HO", but if we only say "Kappalite 3015" it's a bit ambiguous - do we really mean the 3015, or did we just forget to say "LF" on the end?

If he was talking about a 12" woofer, then he meant the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO, which is a lot higher in efficiency than the LF version, but doesn't go as deep. So the 3015 is the 15" counterpart of the 3012HO, just as the 3015LF is the 15" counterpart of the 3012LF.

There - clear as mud!

15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you swapped to a different impedance woofer, it will mean the crossover won't be working correctly any more.

16. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Haha!

Congrats on some fine new designs, Duke! Hathor looks cool and folks seem to be loving the TC212 :)

17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thank you, Duke O Rock! And the new generation of Greenboy designs look magnificent. I keep hearing really great things about the fEARless 12/6/1 and its siblings.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was thinking of swapping in a 4 ohm Kappalite 3015LF too but I was cautioned not to due to crossover issues etc.

19. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I can only go by what greenboy has told me, but the 4 ohm driver gave up way too many benefits to be a 4 ohm driver :)

20. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yikes, had not considered that. Will this have caused damage? I guess I had better contact Don.