1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15" black widow not enough, but I love the tone. now what??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderthrupeave, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I have a peavey 1516 and I have only been using the 15 BW in it and I love the tone I am getting out of it but today at practice the speaker was farting out at moderate volumes. Granted I play bass heavy but its not muddy or anything like that anything on the low B was almost use less. Now I am looking for something else. Ive gone through 10"s to 18"s and now I am looking for something that will give good low end, I mean feel it as well as hear it, be pretty cheap under 250 if possible. I have thoguh about an avatar 212 or mybe eventually two of them. Just looking for some ideas.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A good 212 would serve you well. I've been playing them for a couple of years, and I have not needed for lows at all. What amp are you currently using? That is just as important as the choice of speaker cabinet.

3. I am using an SVT3, and I do not use the ultra low button at all, and this was still going on after I cut the lowest freq. on the graphic eq.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Buy a Carvin BR118 cab. 4 ohms, 800 watts RMS. The best power handling 18" cab in the busisness!! For the best prices too!! I wish I owned one again, but I own so many now, I can't play them all. Seriously, I recommend the Carvin BR18 cab, over any in the business!! The Eminence driver in them, holds the power, much better than the Black Widow does.

5. I would go with a 212. I have the Avatar 212 Delta Cab and it handles the B string easy.

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Looks like you would do well with a 410+118 setup. The 118 will give you the lows you need and the 410 will thump you in the chest. You will feel it :) I'd go with an Avatar 410 save up for the 118 IMHO.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Use two.

8. my amp wont go down to 2 ohms and I dont have the money for a new head so...

9. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    You should hear my 115 BW alongside another 15 incher!

I find it's a much more efficient cab at 4 ohms. Pushes an incredible amount of air.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Find a 215 with BW in them. You won't be disapointed.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You need to find yourself an old Mesa 2x15, or maybe just a 1x15 (if you must stay at $250-ish). Those old cabs have EV 15's that hit hard, take a beating and produce lowend with alot of crisp definiton.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Look around for another couple of 1516's for sale.
    I saw some for $100 each.

YOu could always get the BW reconed/rebuilt.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    BillyRay and billfitzmaurice have the answer. Find an older Peavey 215 cab with Black Widows. You should be able to find one in your price range.

14. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    another vote for a second BW 15. I use 2 black widow loaded cabinets and Love the tone. I would also suggest that you try using a compressor. If you don't like the compressor you can always return it, but it may help.

15. 215 D BW FTW :D