Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" Cab on Top?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pkeeg, Sep 25, 2000.

1. I've noticed that the 15" cabinet is always underneath the 4x10 (for example). Has anyone had any experience with putting the 15 as the top cab IE Head then 15 then quad at the bottom. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Most people I know place the 15 on bottom because then it'll couple with the floor, giving you a good deal of deep bass. Usually, the 15 is to get the floor moving and the 10's are so for definition and so that the band can hear you as well, which is enhanced by having them at listening level. You kinda defeat the purpose of a 15 and 4x10 stack by switching them around, however, try it and see how it sounds, it might sound great! I have to admit it's something that I've never tried, however it's something that I've thought about as well.

3. I tried this a few weeks ago as I was very short of time, and the 4*10 was sitting in the bottom half of its flightcase with wheels. (I don’t have a F/case for the 1*15) Anyway it sounded fine to me, although it was quite a high stage, which may have acted like a giant resonator.
    Normally have the 1*15 at the bottom after placing it onto the 4*10's F/case base.

I think I prefer the overall sound when a large two cab set-up is just off the ground on wheels. Anyone agree?

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    We're moving into the whole "coupling" discussion, as referenced above. If you sit the cabs directly on the floor, they tend to react with it, creating a sensation where you not only hear but feel the bass. You also sacrifice some clarity, however. By insulating the cabs from the floor, by putting them on a stand or on casters, you reduce the coupling phenomenon.

Opinions vary on this. I prefer the "coupling" sound, personally.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    My Crate BX-100 sounds pretty good after I added small casters to it. It's bottom ported and the floor shaked like crazy before I added the casters. While this can be a good thing, I prefer my compromise. There's still a nice bit of floor shake, but then again there's a little bit more clarity.

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I have an 18" subwoofer on top of a 2-10" and both cabinets can accept audio points. With the 18" on the bottom my system sounds a little muddy and my fiddle feeds back easier. I belive in tweeking if it works for me.

7. I put my 115 and 210 side by side with the rack on top of the 210. A nice balanced look and excellent sound. I treid other combinations and this is the one that works best for me.

John