1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick4496, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Nick4496

Nick4496

Apr 14, 2017
    So I have been looking for a 15" recently and came across one today. It is from an old Fender BXR 100. The guy said the amp stopped working so he had them seperated and had the cab sealed as an extension so it was still usable to him. He's asking $60. i was just wondering if this is worth my drive to play it and the money. Im going to college in september and was looking to downsize but also still have enough power. I'm currently running a Mesa subway d-800 with a Mesa powerhouse 212. Im keeping the D-800 because its a tone monster. I'm also bringing with my a DIY 112 cab with a Eminence Legend BP122. Just wondering if its worth my time to pick up this 15" and pair it with my 112 or run either single or if i should wait for something else??

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've give that Fender cab about 30 seconds until meltdown connected to a Mesa Subway amp :)

No way it's going to be anywhere near the same zip code as your Powerhouse 212. But for $60 it would probably make a neat practice/bedroom cab.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Agreed, 400 watts RMS potential into a cabinet rated at maybe 85 watts RMS isn't a great idea imo.

4. You can also replace the speaker with a celestion for about $120 after you save a few more pennies.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Unless the cabinet is re-tuned for the new driver, it may not be any (or much) better.

Aqualung60, Rip Van Dan and jjace1313 like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Congrats on going off to college! Will you be living in a dorm? You may hardly have room for that 112!
    If you're lucky, some dorms have adjustable beds that you can raise to create space underneath. That'll definitely create enough area for a small rig.

Also, around the college there will be lots of cabs for sale for cheap if the 112 doesn't cut it.
    Yeah, I'd weight until you get where your going. Check out the seen! Study you're English to!:D

Good luck in school!

96tbird, mikeyjm2, Joebone and 2 others like this.
  7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah, replacing the 112 and retuning the cab is really the way to go. Post the cab specs and you'll have some pros assist you in getting it done.

It will Save space in your room and be easy to carry, which leads me to my other point:

I suggest getting renters or equipment insurance on your stuff, especially for when you're in class and your equipment is accessible to your roommates buddies and other people you don't know. Maybe there's a way to lock it down while you're gone.

Just sayin'.

8. Nick4496

Nick4496

Apr 14, 2017
    So would it be worth while to pickup it up, wait until the speaker is burned and replace it with a 15" celestion?

9. Nick4496

Nick4496

Apr 14, 2017
    Yeah there is a way to lock my stuff up. Already thought of that one LOL.

MCF likes this.
  10. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    The world isn't short of old large heavy bass cabinets. Round me there was a BX300 box with no amp and a possibly blown speaker going free last month. There will be better deals.

11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    I still suggest equipment insurance since you have a high-end amp. :thumbsup:
    It's pretty cheap and you'll not be happy if your Mesa goes Missing!

12. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I would pass on the BXR cab and keep an eye out for other used offerings. A while back I saw an older Mesa TL606 style 1x15 on Craigslist with an Eminence Kappalite 3015 in it for only $325! Ampeg cabs in general seem to be pretty plentiful on the used market at good prices. I have an 810E and 410HE that both were bought used for less than half of their new retail price.

Other note, I have a small sealed 1x12 cab with an Eminence BP122 in it. It’s a great sounding little cab, but the speaker isn’t super efficient so I wouldn’t pair it with a 1x15 that most likely would be more efficient and drown out your 1x12.

13. Nick4496

Nick4496

Apr 14, 2017
    Thats great info thanks

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Agreed, there are plenty of good used cabinets available for less than gambling with a crapshoot IMO.

Ekulati, wmhill and Nick4496 like this.
  15. Nick4496

Nick4496

Apr 14, 2017
    I saw a Mesa subway 112 for $450 earlier today... Do you think itd be worth picking up to use with my DIY on the occassions i would need more volume. Just looking for opinions

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  16. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    The Subway 1x12 is going to be significantly more efficient than the BP122 still. The BP122 is optimized for sealed cabinets and most sealed cab drivers tend to be less efficient as the cone/suspension is structured differently to have good low end extension without porting.

17. Nick4496

Nick4496

Apr 14, 2017
    Lol i wish i knew all of this before buying the speaker... oops

agedhorse likes this.
  18. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    If you have a Powerhouse 212 to run through, why waste your time with cheap stuff?

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    If I had a bunch more fingers i'd get this^^^ as a knuckle tattoo.

agedhorse likes this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Get a Mesa Subway 15 if you can swing it, it would pair up nice with your Subway amp!!