1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15" Cabinet vs 2x10" Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 12, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm sure this has been brought up a million times but here it is again. How are these different in the way they deliver your bass sound/signal? If you were only able to have one of these cabinets which would you choose and why?

I just was reading two other threads on websites other than this one :eek: and they gave two different answers lol... one thread everyone said "go with the 15" cabinet, it will give you less punch but better control of your mids"... the other said "go with the 2x10" it will give you less bottom end but better control of your mids" :p I have heard the 2x10" gives more bass because they push more air basically. I would think they give you better mids but I don't know. I have also heard the 15" sounds more bottom heavy because it has a slower response/attack and the 2x10" are better for quick attack. I'm sure the make of the cabinet comes into play but I would think there are general "rules" on this you could rely on. :help:

2. It depends which 15" and which 2x10" you're talking about. Not all of them sound the same. My 15" is punchier than my 2x10". It's also somewhat louder, or sounds louder, perhaps due to being more mid present. But all that tells you is my experience with a Ampeg 15" and an Ashdown MAG 2x10" cab. Driver size doesn't matter as much as the specific speaker used and the design of the box it's in.

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    This is going to be one of those things you'll find full of contradictions. I have a Trace 1153 1x15 and love that sound. I want another one of those... and I have a 1048 4x10 and it's heftier in a way. Moves more air I suppose...

I used to have a Trace 2x10 and I don't remember it being as deep or bloomy as the 15, but I got some nice growl out of it. Trace make (made, anyway) very nice cabs. Yet, I had an Avatar 210 neo that was very bottom-focused. The drummer in my reggae band was impressed with that one.

Yer gonna have to do some plugging in to get a really valid answer, since you play in your own context.

If you're in a spot I'd always recommend a 15! :p But either way you'll be playing, you'll learn stuff, and you'll come up with a system that works for you. Helpful, right? :D

Have fun!

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The one that I liked the best after playing through it.

Those opinions are just that, opinions, and have no basis whatsoever in fact. There is no inherent tonal quality attributable to driver size alone. If there was then all 2x10s would sound the same, as would all 1x15s.

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    A pretty reasonable supposition indeed. :)

But sadly, no. :(...

I'm just one of those unreasonable guys who thinks that 15" drivers have a characteristic, as many times as Mr. Fitzmaurice here might tell me I'm simply not being honest with myself. But it makes me happy to believe it, and sometimes happiness is more important than reality. :)

Now, certain 15s with similar specifications, in a particular cab design may tend towards a type of "sound"... etc.

As for your quest, I suppose you'd best get on down with your bad self and plug in come cabs! :bassist:

6. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    15 all the way

7. Who says you have to choose? I believe that the 2 x 10/1 x 15 stack is a great pairing: best of both worlds. Also, I happen to like Carvin!

4644_MVC027S_11.

8. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Haha, sweet... I just hate that you can't go into a store and try a Carvin... they are direct order only right? I do like the looks of the BR515N... just a wee bit smaller setup than yours lol...

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I had an Aguilar GS115 and I hated it. I have an Orange OBC115 and I love it.

I had an Aguilar S210 and I loved it. I had an Eden D210XST and I hated it.

It really does depend on the individual cab.

10. My new favorite quote from Count Bassie!

I downsized a lot of equipment over the years and now I am playing a lot more so I am up-sizing just a little:bassist:

I recently tried some Genz Benz equipment and couldn't believe the big sounds coming out of small equipment.

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Go both At the practice space for the band I just joined up with theres a carvin 2x10 combo that goes down to 2 ohms. Then its bi amped into 2 1x15 cabs. that setup is amazing It handles the five 0 sound perfectly with an older big muff distortion pedal. I have never been a fan of bass distortion but with that set up its great.

12. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    :D And yeah the new technology is pretty interesting in that regard... not with it yet, exactly, but maybe, someday!

Keeping the effected signal out of the lows keeps you sounding like bass! :bassist:

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Specifically, does anyone know the difference in sound between the Markbass 102P cab and the Markbass 151P cab?

14. knobie

knobie

May 12, 2011
    I started with a Yorkville sound 115 and added a 210 Yorkville cabinet and love it! What I use is the Yorkville bloc250 head.