15" driver for 60 liter box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 9, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Its time to make a new cab. I have already made a 1x12" with the Eminence Omega Pro 12 and want to make a 15 box now.
    The box should preferably not be bigger than 60 liters. Which drivers should I look at? I dont need the lowest lows. Just a round deep sound for a vintage 4-string bass.
  2. Eminence have a driver that is advertized to work well in small box (15CB I think). Before a few years I have compact 15" cab with Fane driver, but I can't remember the exact model. Sounds killer with 4 string bass.

3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How about the B&C 15 HPL 76?
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have a look at Bgavin's spreadsheet. Sort it by driver size, then by Vb (cab size. There's quite a few choices in the 60 litre (2.1cu.ft) range.

That B&C could work. The formulas say 70 litres in SBB4, but slightly smaller in some of the other alignments. The trouble with the current crop of neo's is that most are designed for PA use, fo you end up with a fairly high -3dB point. It's not an issue for everyone, but you should keep it in mind.
  5. Beyma 15G40 in SBB4 at 58.6 liter.

You will have a bit more meat on the 41 Hz end with SBB4 because of the more gentle rolloff. The QB3 alignment makes just a tad more noise, and will take the full 700 watts RMS, compared to 621w for the SBB4.

I consider the Beyma to be the Spanish JBL. 4" edgewound copper voice coil, lots of Xmax, and a kickin' BL factor.

This driver rolls off very steep from 2,000 Hz up. You will need something to augment the range from 2 ~ 7 KHz.

Link to Cabinet Design for SBB4

The above link is a screen shot of a spread sheet design for this driver in SBB4. Measurements are all in imperial, so you will have to translate. Hey... the price is right.

I just finished gluing up a 1x10 subwoofer cabinet based on this spread sheet design. The interesting part was, the weight was very close. The sheet calculated 43 pounds, and the actual weight was 45 pounds. I attribute the difference to the screws used. You will have to tune it yourself. The spread sheet only gets you in the ball park.

IMO, this will make a killer 15" cabinet.
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thats right. My Omega Pro 12 will handle that. It gives me enough highs so far. But I might ad an Eminence Alpha 6 in this 15" cab so I can use it alone.

The Beyma 15G40 looks good. I´ll see where I can find it over here.

Thanks! :hyper:
  7. The Omega Pro 12 is all done above 1,200 Hz. The bass generates useful harmonics to about 7,000 Hz so you will need something like the Alpha 6.