1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15 inch guitar speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Sep 22, 2008.

1. I posted this in Off Topic but no one responded or even read it.

My guitar player needs to replace the speakers in an old two fifteen fender showman cab. The cab is from 1964 and I think it has JBL's in it. I could recone them but I don't think they will last the abuse he likes to give them. After retubing and rebuilding the amp it is putting out 108 watts of clean, clean power according to the tech. It sounds awsome but after a few months the speakers are sounding pretty bad. I wanted Tone Tubby's but found out they don't have a fifteen for guitar.

Can anyone give me a few choices to research? Thanks

2. I'll second that. Webers are great... though I've never used or heard one of their 15s.

3. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Eminence Big Ben... it's got a rating of 225W per, and is a KILLER sounding speaker. I used on of these for a while w/ my Carvin X100B (100W Tube head) and was BLOWN AWAY. I really like the sound of 15s w/ guitar.

Peace.

http://www.usspeaker.com/Big Ben-1.htm

4. Frying out those old JBLs?

Not cool.

If you're looking for a "breaky-uppy" vintage type sound- I had a Jensen "Special Design" purple label 15 in my old Silvertone 45w thing. That sounded pretty cool.

From what I understand the old Jensen stuff isn't as sought after as the Eminence/Utah stuff.

5. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I believe the showman 2x15 cab had JBL D130 drivers. Those are high powered speakers with 4 inch voice coils and vented magnets. I'm sure if you got them reconed they take EVERYTHING that showman head can dish out.

6. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Either Electro-Voice EV-15L's or Weber California ceramics will do the job and sound great if there isn't a good speaker tech in your area. Make sure that the correct JBL recone kits are used, not aftermarket ones. I agree with KPAX that reconing the D-130F's is the way to go if at all possible. If Dick Dale can use them at the volume levels he plays at with out blowing 'em up, anyone can!

Unfortunately, the EV's are no longer in production. I am a big fan of the Weber Californias...I have them in three of my Fender guitar rigs includuing a Dual Showman and a 100W Custom Vibrasonic. They are loud, clean, reliable and reasonably priced for what you get.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Recone the original D130F's they are very much a classic sound and the cab just wont work at all well with 3015 eminence for guitar.
    The jbl E130 cone kit is now good for a safe 200 watts RMS of filthy guitar due to modern higher temperature adhesives.
    :ninja:

8. OK, I'm sold on reconing. How do I get original JBL kits like was suggested?