15 inch vs. 10 inch x 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TopOfCool, Mar 22, 2005.

1. I was checking out the new Hartke combos and wondered how to choose between a 15 and 2 x 10...I have an Ampeg BR100 with a single 15 cone and it's pretty nice sounding.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Follow your ears!!! The 15 will give you more low,lows and less upper mids...the 2x10 will give you punchier and more present upper mids.

If you're keeping your Ampeg, perhaps the 2x10 would expand your tonal palette...
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In my opinion neither 15s nor 10s really cuts it alone. I've always liked them paired.

A 115 and a 210 with a tweeter is perfect for me.
  4. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    Personally, I've always liked the tone of a 15" best for bass. It's rounder, deeper and has less of an edge in the upper register. But then, I don't do much slapping or plucking.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When given a choice I've always gone with the 2x10. I also own a 1x15, but never use it by itself... always with some tens.
  6. +1. :)
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One thing to note, the surface area of a 15 is going to be more than the surface area of two 10's, so in theory the 15 will be louder. That is, provided all things other than speaker diameter are the same.
  8. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I've been faced with this problem recently for smaller gigs.

I own a B100R and have access to a GK 2x10 combo. The 2x10 isn't even in the ballpark when it comes to the tone I want. But the 1x15 isn't quite loud enough.

My solution, which I'll try for the 1st time tonight, is to use both and run them simultaneosly with my a/b switch. I should get lows & mids galore through this rig. And both amps are easy to transport. A lot easier than my Acoustic 406 2x15 cab is, that's for sure.
  9. To OSF: Run the line out from the B100R into the input of the GK combo. (to get the tone of the B100R - almost)

10. How would I pair my Ampeg 15' with a 2 or 4 x 10 combo so that I can play them all together? Sounds like a nice set up but I am not very saavy with such matters.
  11. That answers my question.
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

way too many variables and it differs so much from brand to brand as to make any generalizations absolutely worthless.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I believe this is the answer to 75% of the questions posted in the Basses and Amps forums. :D
  14. But then why would people ask "What's the best..."? :D
  15. Brian Middleton

Brian Middleton

Feb 4, 2005
    Speaking only for myself, when I find I've made a bad buying decision, it's always comforting to be able to blame the $#@% fools who told me what to buy.

But in all seriousness--of course we should "use our ears." But in what context? The local BanjoMart? Ever try listening critically on one of those shop floors, with a sales weasel breathing down your neck? The only place you can really use your ears effectively to evaluate equipment is at home, at rehearsal or on a gig--and by that time you've already spent the money. Granted, you can usually return something, but that's a PITA that most of us try to avoid if possible by doing careful homework. And seeking out experienced opinions is one good way of doing homework.
  16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I use a GenzBenz 2x10 and a 1x15...The 15 pushes out alot of deep lows. By itself its not a full enough spectrum of sound for the punch I like. The 2x10 adds the mids and highs creating a perfect combination. Plus the 2x10 allows me to hear myself much better on stage. You cant hear the full sound of a 15" speaker when you're standing in front of it...but across the room the thing is thumping. I would keep the 15 and get the 2x10.