Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15 inchers with tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Jul 16, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i wanna get a 15 incher with a tweeter, but im worried taht if i run 15s with tweeters, it wont have as many highs as 10s. will i have as many highs??? will it sound muddy???

2. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    so will have have good rounded sound with the 15s and tweeters???

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho

It all depends.

The highs will come from the tweeter and a 10 cab can have tweeters too. There are also 10 cabs that don't do highs (because they are designed to do lows well).

What you might worry about is the mids, where the 15 starts to drop out (500-1500hz) and before a tweeter might take over (1000 - 3000 depending on crossover design).

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a BUNCH of cabinets. Amongst then..is a Eden 115XLT that is a 15" with a tweeter.It sounds...good. I don't feel like it's missing anything..it pops and slaps fine...it's not "muddy" and if anything maybe it it's a little MORE focused sounding since it has a single sound source as opposed to a multi speaker config.

I wouldn't be affraid of a 1x15 just because it's not the current darling on the block

5. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well im trying to get that full rounded sound so a 15 with tweeter wont do it????

6. I use 2 cabs with 15" and a Horn tweeter. Highs are very good with the right crossover or high pass filter section of a crossover. Where you can miss out is in the mids section.
    One of my cabs has an Eminence Kappa Pro LF. Very good lows and highs, poor mids. My other cab has a JBL E140F and a horn. It has decent enough lows, very good mids and very good highs. With both cabs the full range is present.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A fifteen that has a strong bottom won't have great mids, and a fifteen with great mids won't have a strong bottom. It's the nature of the beast. The best combination would be a fifteen and an eight or six, with a tweeter above that if you want full range reproduction, but that's a combination very few manufacturers offer. Going from a fifteen to a tweeter with no midrange driver is generally going to result in a hole in the midrange response, especially off-axis. No fifteen has good off-axis response above 800 to 1 kHz, again this being the nature of the beast.

8. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    so i should use a 15 and 2x10s????

do yall know what geddy lee used in the day??? 2x15???
    same with john paul jones????

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Cool cab Mud. Do you know if the EV's in there are the same (EVL Blackshadow I think) that were used in old Mesa Roadready cabs?

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    That was probably a special driver that EV did for Mesa. from what I recall pulling those old EV cabs apart they lookd like stock standard cast frame series II 200 watt drivers, probably like EVM 15B's or L series. The VMR 8" is a cool mid driver, though large for what it does. I wonder how it specs out compared to the Eminence line array 6.5" sealed back drivers or the 8MR. Always wanted to try one of those with good 12" driver.

11. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    actually the tweeters don't really do much in the sound because the bass is so low that even the over tones are within the capabilities of a fiffteen

12. Don't know, but the drivers in that B215-M are the "L" series if they're still the stock drivers.

13. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The stock 15's in the B215-M are EVM 15L's (at least in the one I used to own), and the VMR is not an 8" (it's either a 6" or 6.5", can't remember which).

14. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    does anybody know????

15. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I beg to differ...

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    2x10 +15 or
    2x12 +18

17. I am with haujobb here.

If you turn the bass way up and treble down, you are correct.
    If you play a Jazz bass with eq set for mids and highs to sound the horn is definately a factor in the overall sound.

18. I still have that cab in my collection, was my first "pro" cab. Its definitely the 15L if its stock.

Good low end, good mids, but my midrange driver still works.

Personally, I like the sound of "speaker" tweeters, rather than the piezo tweeters. The piezo's are too harsh for my tastes. Domes or small midrange drivers are more musical, in my opinion.

If you want the Fender P bass traditional vintage sound, the tweeters are useless. But if you want to slap with a good pop, you need tweeters. No 15 is going to do a good job of that. Even 10's can use the help in the high freqs for that stuff.

Randy

19. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've got a swr son of bertha (1x15 w/tweeter) - it's a fine sounding cab, could be used on it's own. but when i combine it with my goliath 3 (4x10 w/tweeter) it fills in the upper mids better (and conversely the 1x15 fills in the low mids and lows of the 4x10). for a good full range sound i think you'll need both a 15 and some 10's - the tweeter is for the extreme highs (swr's crossover is at 5khz i believe). of course this is just my experience with my swr cabs which are voiced different than other manufacturers' cabs.