15 on on side? or on bottom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 20, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright, i'm buying this cab that is a 15, and i want to put it underneath the 4x10. but it's WAY to tall and is not wide enough. i could lay it down on it's side, but it's not DEEP enough. so, woudl it be just as good to put in right next to it? i mean, ive always seen the 15 (bigger sizzed woofer cabs) on the botem, and that makes sense. but it will all be good,,, right?
  2. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Its ok to put the fifteen next to the other cab.The advantage to having the 15 next to the floor is the "coupling" effect of the lows bouncing off the floor.The advantage of having the cabs stacked is that a tall speaker,or combination of speakers will produce a taller wave of sound which will stay loud or "carry" over a longer distance than cabs next to each other or separated.

I should tell you that when I added a 1x15 to my 4x10 I could hardly tell the difference.But YMMV,it depends on the efficiency and power handling etc.of the cabs.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've had my 15 set beside my 6x10 and underneath my 6x10 and couldn't tell the difference between the two setups.

FWIW, why not try putting the 15 on top of your 4x10? It's been recommended to me several times, I just haven't done it yet.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I put my 115 on top of my 410, because the 410 actually has better low-end than the 115. The 115 is good for low mids. (These are Eden D-410XLT and D-115XL).
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    To tell you the truth, i never really thought about it, always was used to seeing them on the bottem. but this thing is TALL like those old sunn cabs. Well, whatever, i'm getting it, thanks for the info guys.
  6. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    When I play 2 speakers, I do run my Bag End 15 on top of an Eden 4x10 XLT. Sounds mucho fine to me. Agreeing with the above, my XLT is tuned lower than the Bag End 15 so it seems to make some sense in having it on top. Also, it's a smaller cab and fits nicely above. Good luck, and feel free to let your ears do the talking.