15 on top or bottom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I currently play through an SWR rig with a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. In the past (even pictures of the thing) it always shows the 4x10 on top of the 15 when stacked, but since the 410s will be mainly supplying more low end than punch, would it be better to play with the 15 on top or the 4x10 on top? It sounds kind of dumb and many people are probably thinking "well why didn't you just try it and see which sounds better?" I haven't had a chance to try it out on a gig yet (as it is brand new) and I just mean stuff like how does it affect people out in front... if I have this thing on stage... like an elevated stage, is it going to make a difference which one is more at ear level and which is above ear level? Which one will throw sound further? There are also horns on both, and both cabs have attenuators, would it sound better to have the hi-end slap sound coming out of the one on top or bottom? Please help, I sound like an idiot just babbling here.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Predictions can't be made on speaker size alone. You'd need advice from someone who is familiar with your specific cabinets. Even so... you might find that the fifteen sounds better underneath in some acoustic environments, but not in others. So... just try it! :)
  3. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I need them a lot older, thanks. Remember that old expression, 15 will get you 20.
  4. But Jerry Lee Lewis went with a 13. Cousin, too. :D :D
  5. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Oh god... that's just wrong... lol

They're both SWR workingman's cabs
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use my Mesa Diesel 1X15 on top of the 4X10, but that's more of an asthetic thing(smaller cab on top), but it sounds nice and thick
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I put my 15 on top, mainly because it's the smallest speaker in my rig - the bottom cab is an 18!
  8. wait a tic.. your running a 15 and an 18 as well?? :eek:

*craps pants* :crying:

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    And not a horn in sight. Life is good.
  10. Same reasoning here, only I'm using a 15" EV on top of a 4x10" Genz Benz. Looks and sounds great. :hyper:
  11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Making the assumption that the 15 runs lower than the 10s, and that the tens run higher than the 15, the 15 goes on the bottom. That way it gets boundary assistance from the ground plane for a stronger bottom, while the 10s are up closer to ear level where you want them for maximum midrange projection. It's the same thing as what you should be doing with a hi-fi: you wouldn't put your bookshelve satellites on the floor while placing the sub on a shelf.