15 or 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 2x10 + 1x15

20 vote(s)
  2. 2x10 + 2x12

19 vote(s)
  3. I dont like any of this combinations

10 vote(s)
  1. 2x10 + 2x15 or 2x10 + 2x15
    What setup do you prefer?
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I use an SWR 210T + an Avatar SB112 and absolutely love it. I detest the floppiness of 15's, and find the lows of a 12 to be more room friendly when using my amp to provide bass volume in the mix. 15's sound OK up close and personal, but get lost in the mix and only serve to muddy the bottom in my highly subjective opinion. YMMV of course.

For me, the 12 compliments the 210 perfectly and fills out a fretless beautifully. It definitely catches the lower mwah (B, E, & A strings) that sound somewhat sterile with just 10's.

Using 12's to fill out the bottom (I run my 12 cab full range) also keeps the sound techs off my back about too much rumbling low end in the room.

3. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    15's seem to be tabu nowadays...
  4. I think twelves got to "Screamy" high mids
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Neither. If I was going to build a simple cabinet I'd load it with one or two twelves, depending on how much output was required, along with 6.5s or 8s for midrange. Using drivers that overlap output through 80% of their operating range is not how it should be done. The hi-fi guys learned that 70 years ago. Yes, it's what the manufacturers do, but that doesn't make it right.
  6. Hmmmmmm......anyway my vote is....215XL + 410XL
  7. the newer 12" woofers can go as low as a regular 15", but due to the smaller surface the attack of the 12er is faster and the sound is definitely clearer.
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Well then I must be the opposite of the norm because my next cab is looking to be a 2x15. I want some heavy thump
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ha! Good luck with transporting that monster! :smug: I use a 2x10, 1x12 setup. Loud and portable!
  10. Check with BassNW and ask em for a quote on an Eden 215XLT. Mine was $650 out the door, shipping and all.
  11. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    I never said that you couldn't use a 15. I myself have a 1x15 cab (getting rid of it though). It's just that in our ever changing world, speaker design has advanced alot, and we can get the same sound, if not better out of 12's, and portability is becoming an important factor in rigs nowadays. People want compact, light and loud.
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I like 12 now, use a Aguilar 2-12 cab.
    But alway liked 15.
    Just played a Bergantino 2-15 cab.
    It had a 6 " speaker also, man what a great sounding cab.
    Big, full, but defined.
    More GAS?
  13. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Yea I know a 2x15 will be super heavy but so is my Avatar 410 Delta. Only thing heavier is my dream of having a 4x15 :ninja:

I have a 1x15 cab I use for practice that sounds just right for what I want to hear in a bass sound (Kappa Pro from Avatar) but I'd like that doubled to fill a larger room.

Looking at picking up Ray's(Bad_Habit_Bassist) Sunn 2x15 if I can get enough money when he gets back from college. Very efficient cabs that would help prevent my speakers from farting out like my Avatar has been doing lately...

That Eden 2x15 sounds like a hell of a deal though. Too bad I don't have any Eden dealers in my area to try out :S
  14. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Sorry to hijack, but I just ordered a 2x15 with 2 6's in it. It's a neo cab, and weighs right around 70 lbs! Check it out on the opening page www.lowdownsound.com
    Sorry, just have to brag, and I can't stand the wait! Should be ready in about 2 weeks...
  15. There's still plenty of lovin for 15's in this old world. :cool:
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I started out with two JBL D140-F in a custom cab.
    Then I put each JBL in its own JBL large studio monitor cab (two 1x15).

Next I got a 2x10 combo amp.

Next I got a cab that was 1x12 + 2x10 + HF driver (guess that cab).

Now I have a 4x10 + HF driver and like it better than all the previous cabs (but not all 4x10 cabs are created equal).

I'd also like to have a 1x12 + 1x10 + HF driver for practice and small gigs.
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have dreamed of this as well! :D

Same for me. A 1x15 for practice and a 2x15 for shows. I love my Trace Elliot 2x15. Killer lows but its articulate and punchy. I really don't get this whole problem with movings cabs :meh: I'm only 5'8" and 140lbs and I can move my 103lb cab by myself and it doesn't have casters.
  18. for portability the warwick 211pro 2X10horn cabs are extremely light with no sound trade off.And one or two of these in combination with an eden 115xlt does a fine job with no backache.I`m using Eden wt600 driving these fine cabs with very happy results.
  19. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    A 4x15 huh? Well Iowa isn't THAT far from Milwaukee. I ran across this the other day. :bassist:

**Please note I am not the seller of this cab or afilliated with him in any way**
  20. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Portability, schmortability... that's what roadies are for.. j/k... Actually, my Aggie ain't bad... it has casters... That helps 'cause I can use it as a cart to transport other heavy items. The casters are removeable, as well.

I love my Aggie 1x15.. I spent a good 3 hours at the music shop switch back and forth between several cabs. I tried out several 1x12 and 2x12's, and just kept coming back to the Aguilar.

I plan on adding a 2x10 at some point. I ran the 1x15 w/ an Eden 2x10 at the same time... wow...

This other guy was in the shop trying out some 6-string basses.. he and I jammed for awhile.. me through the Ampeg SVT3-pro and the 1x15 and 2x10.. he was running through a fender combo *L* it was fun..