Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15 or 18 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Apr 21, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I was wondering what I could get in the range of 500 bucks and lower for a 1x15 or 1x18 cab. Right now I have a carvin RC210 combo (600 watts bridged or 300x2) So what cab would sound best with it, I am a little weary of Carvin cabs cause the two 10's on the combo aren't great for lows and I am not sure about carvins 1x15 and 1x18. Any input would be helpful.......

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    EBS 1x18 is a monster for deep bottom. Don't know if it's under or over $ 500, though. I only know the French price.

All the best,

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i faced your exact same situation earlier this year. I ended up building my own 18" cab using an eminence omega pro 4 ohm driver. it turned out pretty well, but should I be in a position to do it again, I would have taken a different route. The head in the RC210 is an excellent amp, i dont ever intend on chaning it out (except maybe for the 1000 watt model) however the carvin speakers are kind of a waste IMO. I would run my 210 +18 stack biamped... and did not get good volume out of this setup. With the poweramps split (youll get 250 watts x2 @ 4 ohms/side) there just isnt enough power for solid, room filling bass IMO. for 500 bucks, I would take the R600 head out of the combo (take out the 4 screws on top of the cab) and take it into your local music store with your bass. Try out as many cabs as you can. an eden D410XLT was an excellent match for the R600. other cabs that worked well with my head and basses were a genz benz standard 410, an ampeg 610HLF, and an (eden) nemesis 212. see what you can find used. eden may be a bit out of your price range, but you could afford a new peavey cab, or possibly a genz benz, or a nemesis. by purchasing one GOOD 4 ohm cab, you can efficiently use all the power the head has to offer, and you will have better quality speakers.

now if you still want to add a single 15 or 18 to your RC210, i would go with a 15. simply because the 18's I have experienced (including my own home brew cab) are very power hungry. The 118 i have sounds great if i put a 1000 watt poweramp behind it. but with only 250 watts, its leaves something to be desired. Some 1x 15 cabs that I liked include the ampeg classic 115, the SWR son of bertha, the peavey 115BXBW, and the genz benz 15.

something to consider:
    even though a 15" speaker is bigger, a good quality 410 cab often has a better bass response. im not quite sure, but i believe this is because the 4 10's move more total air, and the cabinet itself is larger.

personally, I have my eyes on a genz benz XB2 series cab to replace my 210+118 rig as soon as i get the money. they get my vote for performance/dollar.

oh yeah one other thing. you could try selling the RC210 cabinet only (keep your head) on ebay. I saw one go in good condition a couple weeks ago for over 200 dollars. add that 200 in with your 500, and you almost have enough to buy an even better cab. possibly even new.

sorry for rambling on... but i hope this helps you in your decision. ive tried a lot of cabs with the R600 head, so feel free to email me or talk to me on AIM if you have any other questions.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i bought a carvin 15 speaker to put into my fender cab after i blew it apart!
    now i have a sealed crate410 and the fender cab 15
    and it is unbelivible. it sounds awsome!! i played a trace elliot stack 410 and 15 and after that i wanted both just got them and sounds just as good as the trace. i have a hartke head.
    i have never had a problem with the speaker,infact i like it better than a lot of 15's
    hope this helped.

steve

5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Try out Avatarspeakers.com

I bought the B115. 8ohm, 400watt RMS. Sounds great but has no tweeter. $199 factory direct!

Do a search here on Talkbass and see what some people are saying about Avatar.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I recently played through a friends tri-amped rig featuring all Carvin cabinets. Two 2x10s, two 1x15s and two 1x18s with 3000 or 4000 watts behind it. Holy Cow, it kicked like a mule.

Carvin admits that their 2x10 and 4x10 cabs are a little bass shy...that's why they sell the 15s and 18s.

I also auditioned the 15s by themselves. They sounded good but the whole rig was much better...imagine that. I'll be that the 18s would be very cool to use with 4x10s and such.

Of my own gear, I recently paired some 1x15 EVs with my two Goliath IIs. While my EVs are old speakers (SROs) each in a cabinet of ancient design (dating to '69) it really filled out the low end...or it sounded like it did. By themselves they don't sound that good but in combination with the 4x10s...wow!!!

The Carvin 15s and 18s are of more modern design so I'm sure that they would give you what you're looking for.

You might want to explore www.avatarspeakers.com too...modern drivers in solidly built cabinets at unheard of prices. New cabs for the price (or below the price) of used ones.

Good luck!!!