Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" or 18" woofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jammin' Jimmy, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Jammin' Jimmy

Jammin' Jimmy

Jun 6, 2001
    I'm not sure which one to get. I've only played on using a 15" I'm afraid that if i get the 18" that it will bottom out or sound muddy. I play a 5-string with a low B.

2. Hey Jammin', welcome to talk bass.

If you're talking about only one cabinet, I'd go for a
    high powered 1x15. To me 15s give you just about all the low end you'll need along with a decent midrange (depending on amp & bass) whereas an 18 by itself can sound a little muted on the top end. All other things being equal, an 18 will produce a noticeably fuller sounding low end, but, this depends on the sound you're going for. Will you be using this cab by itself? I used to like the heaviest sound possible, now I prefer smaller speakkers with the treble turned down. My favorite set up would be 2-12s, but each in its own cab. I heard it once, and to me, it had a good balance of everything.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i would go with a 15, i got a GK 400RB head through a swr workingman's 15, and its awsome. better response by itself. but if i had cash, id get a 2x15 or a 1x18 with a 4x10 on top. i like 15s better tho.

ultimate set up-
    from top
    in a rack- GK 400RB used as clean preamp
    ampeg svp preamp for OD tones
    QSC 1500 watt power amp

swr goliath 4x10
    swr big bertha 2x15

4. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    hey micheal, if your ever lookin for the 12s, check out bagend, they make. jammin, i would go with the 15 byitself. from my experience in stores they sound great.

5. The frequencies that are predominant in bass guitar are useless for an 18... 15 are sonically considered ideal for low end bass.. 18 inch speakers were created for the kick drum style bass for PAs that power like dance music for clubs where a thud is needed... Yes they are muddy, and yes they are loud, and yes they are used by bassists from time to time, but get the 15 you will thank me later.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have to disagree with you Drake. I use a 2 410 and 2 118 set up and i can assure you that my sound is far from muddy. I have a very tight and clear low end but not boomy at all. Granted its alot to control, but with the proper set up the yield is a awsome thick bottom end.

I do agree however that its not a good idea to use the 18 alone.

Mike

7. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    mike, what kind of cabs are they and what are ya powering em with.

8. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I would also disagree. The 18" Bag End and SWR cabinets sound very clear and are just the ticket for anyone running a B or lower string. The main drawback to them is that they are gut busting heavy.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...if it's 18's you're after, without losing high end, Peavey makes a 1x18-2x10 cab...I'm not sure if it's still in production, but it's what My schools uses, and in full range mode (i.e. all three speakers at once) it's very loud, and very low, without getting muddy. It's kinda bulky, but I think something like that is a gem!

For me, I'm getting a sixer for my next bass, so I'm gonna get a Bag End 4x10 and a Bag End 1x18...Angus uses that setup, he could tell you about bag end 18s...

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Spyde, I have 2 Peavey 118 loaded with 1000w JBL. They each have a Crown Powerbase3 to push them.

Mike

11. The one who dies with the heaviest toys, wins!

Damn, but those are some SERIOUS toys. 214 pounds each, and enough SPL to destroy the reproductive systems of most adults within a city block.

Q: which JBL do you have installed?