Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" or 2x10"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Mar 24, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    right now I'm playing through a single 12" but I might pick a new combo or a head and would like to know which configuration is better if you can only have one cab, 1x15 or 2x10?

or should I just get a better 1x12" combo because I'm afraid the 10's would not be bassy enough and the 15 might not have the same fast response and open, clear treble.

if it helps I play a 5 string, like tight tone, hate harsh hi-mid but still want a certain degree of versatility.

thanx.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on which 10"s and which 15" (e.g., a Crate 15" vs. an Ampeg) and how big a room you're playing. Both have tradeoffs.

Speaking in a generic way, I like to always have a DECENT 15" or an 18," especially for a 5'er. But the places I normally play can legally, (fire dept. reg's), have 900 and more in the rooms.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i myself would go with the 1x15 in this case, 2x10's just dont have enough bottom end for my liking. they sound very week, (eden is the only 2x10 ive ever played that sounded good) thats just my opinion mind you.

i think youd be better off going with a 4x10 cab, they get pleanty bassy and are more versatile than 2x10 and 1x15. but its up to you not me.

4. if you wanna spend some cash,Epiphani or Euphonic Audio(or both perhaps)make a 2x12 cab that would be right up your alley(best of both worlds)10 in.punch w\15in. lows...and not too big in term of size

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    first of all, thanx for the replies ppl.
    generaly I don't mean Euphonic, Epifani or Eden cabs. these are so expensive in where I live (not to say quite rare) that I could buy a Trace or Warwick 2x10 and a 1x15 for the price of one of their cabs. however I know that with these three companies you can get a 2x10 that has deeper bass than most of your run of the mil 15" cabs.

4x10 does sound like a nice idea but I have back aches and lugging around a 4x10 is a no no.
    so let me put it in a better way- would two 2x10 cabs be better (or match) a 1x15 cab? I mean for deep lows.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends on which ones you're looking at.

I use an Eden D210XLT cab. It has plenty of lows for my basses, most of which have a low B. I also use an Ampeg B-100R (1-15 combo) which has great lows and a great, though different, sound.

My point is, there are different ways to get lows and you can get a different sound with each way. It's up to you to decide which sound you like.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    About Warwick's cabs, I have seem 4x10 costing just few bucks more than their 2x10, can't figure why tho. Perhaps that 4x10 doesen't have horn.

8. Well, incredibly enough, my "cheapo" Yorkville 2x10 has way more bottom than any other 2x10 i've tried (GK, SWR, Mesa). these are quality CANADIAN cabs at low prices (~300 american for a 2x10, ~350 for a 115, ~4oo for a 4x10)

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    they have two 4x10 cabs.

410 pro
    and
    411 pro

the 410 has some unknown drivers, no horn and can only stand 300W RMS.

the 411 has a horn, Eminence speakers and a rating of 600W RMS.

the 411 also weigh some 5-10 Kgs more.
    and btw, the 410 has a lower power rating than the 2x10 (which can sustain 400W if I'm not mistaken).

10. right now im running just a 1x15 and i love it. you can always add on later either way you go.

11. i'm with jr, my 15 is fine for me. there's a horn in there to handle the highs. eventually i'll buy a 2x10 extension cab, but so far i'm pretty happy.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    carvin makes an inexpensive 2x10, 1x15 and even 4x10 cab....and the 4x10's sound great, as do their 1x15....

www.carvin.com

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, checked that out from Warwick site, 410 has Eminence Standard speakers where 411 has Eminence Customs w/ a horn.