1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15" or 4x10 for B string notes?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Al Bass, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Ant, what is your recommendation for bass speaker sizes for B string notes, as I typically play slapped and fingered notes on my 5 string bass? 15" or 4x10? I just bought 2 new 4x10 cabs to replace my recently blown cab containing 2-10" and a 12". The lows are definitely not there with this new setup. Thinking about adding a 15" cab to the mix. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am no Anthony Wellington but I can tell you that speaker size does not dictate what frequencies the cabinet will handle best. A 15" speaker does not go any lower than a 10" nor will it handle a B string any better.

Mixing a 1x15" with a 4x10" is a really bad mix because the 115 is nowhere near as loud as the 410. If you are going to run this setup, put the 115 on top. That way you can hear the 15" start to fart and die before you do damage to it.

I would suggest you try posting in the public forums for better responses for these types of questions. Mr.Wellington is one of the best bass educators on the planet but I have never really heard him talk extensively on cabinet construction.

GregC likes this.