1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15 PLUS smaller speakers in one cab? (or 12 ftm)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayItAway, Feb 11, 2017.

1. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    Hey yall, I'm looking to see if anyone makes cabinets that have one or two 15" speakers, as well as smaller woofers/tweeters, all in one cab. I want something that I can use for a huge bass sound, but also for smaller instruments (guitar, violin, keys, etc.). If nobody makes those with 15", I can take a look at 12" too. Wheels would obvs be a plus.

Thanks!

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    You will hear this a lot but the speaker size doesn't dictate low frequency response. My Acme B2 is a three-way 210 design that does deep bass, yet has the clarity to be used as PA speakers if called upon.

Stumbo and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    ampeg pr1528he

Stumbo likes this.
  4. As has already been said, bigger speakers don't absolutely equal more bass. What you want is full range. This can be achieved with low frequency drivers, a tweeter/horn and/or a midrange driver. There are quite a few hi-fi type, full range bass cabinets out there....it's sorta the trend these days.

Then there are combo's like the Acoustic Image stuff or Polytone.

One thing to be aware of because of your intended use: some cabinets specifically for bass guitar do not have much mid-range because the tweeter is all sizzle and the low frequency drivers are all low bass and there's nothing reproducing the frequencies in between.

If you want something simple and possibly inexpensive, look for a cabinet loaded with Altec-421A speakers. They are an amazingly full-range 15" speaker.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino NV115.

20170211_131604.jpg

6. Faceman75

Faceman75

Dec 21, 2015
    SWR Triad
    Traynor TC1510
    Peavey 1820

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    fEARful 1515/66.

(Paging @Foz )

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Ya builda 66... add the true 3-way xover for higher register usage.

9. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks for the info everyone - the Bergantino certainly piques my interest, I know those have a great rep.
    However someone else is selling a pair of Traynor Yt-15's for cheap - anyone know about the range on those? Is it worth it to fit something like that with Altecs, as Wighat suggested?

10. PlayItAway

PlayItAway

Apr 24, 2014
    And just for future reference - I am talking about using a cab like this with a Sunn 2000S that I'm thinking of buying. I know the amp itself has tremendous versatility when it comes to different instruments, so I'm trying to figure out how certain cabs would help or hinder that.